Chapter Nine: Gas Station Reunion

I had sat around the house, waiting and hoping for a call from somebody about a job, but it never came.

Part of me just wants to leave and go there anyways. I handle being homeless rather well, but I know my parents won't allow that, and I have too many relatives in New York City to get away with it.

Mom sat me down last night and gently explained that she wasn't comfortable with me living in my car and she wouldn't support it. My Dad just stayed silent, although I know he agrees with her, he understands I like to do my own thing.

We went back and forth for a while and I got tired of hearing it, so I agreed to stay with Grandma and Grandpa.

And that's if I ever find a job.

I'm laying in bed on Mom's laptop applying to jobs. It's Thursday night and I'm starting to get a little stir crazy. I hate being indoors all day for multiple days in a row.

I'm starting to just apply to random places because I want to get out of the house.

I have a bachelor's degree in business administration. It shouldn't be this hard to find a job. Like, I know I don't have experience but at least I have an education.

Claire is on FaceTime with one of her friends and I'm trying to focus, but she won't stop talking.

Shaking my head, I shut the lid to Mom's laptop.

I'm tired of applying for jobs.

I hate job searching.

And I want a job, but I hate the idea of having to listen to other people telling me what to do.

The only boss of me is me.

The front door shuts and I hear footsteps coming down the hall.

A moment later, Dad comes into my bedroom.

"How's it going?" He asks.

Horrible.

"Fine." I shrug.

"Well listen, Mom spoke to your doctor."

I pause. "For what?"

Sighing, he reaches into his pocket and pulls out a cell phone, a pink iPhone.

"What's this?" I ask.

"You can't move and not have a cell phone." He says. "But I want you to know, I will be monitoring your phone calls and text messages, if you're texting and calling strange numbers, I'm going to automatically assume the worst."

"But it's mine?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Okay, how much do I owe you?"

"You don't owe me anything."

"But Dad-"

"I'm serious."

"Okay." I give in. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Now, this is an iPhone seven and if it breaks, you're fixing it."

"Okay."

He leaves the room.

"Liam has like, a million phone cases." Claire says.

Nodding, I stand up and go wandering into my brother's room.

"What?"

"Let me have a phone case."

"No."

"Why?"

"Because they're mine." He replies.