Chapter 26: The Final Battle

Start from the beginning

Casmir had driven the tip of the blade into Quick.

* * *

"No!" Jane heard herself scream. Then she saw the bright blue beams slash Casmir's right cheek, and luckily he dropped down in pain, leaving the lasers to cut the treetops. Sarah still didn't withdraw, Conquest's veterans ducking and hiding. The older girl was out of control, and Jane helped by breathing into her face, forcing the eyes to shut. Together, the girls fought off the remaining soldiers, one by one. She sent waves of wind, and even trapped a small group inside a swirling circle, until they were close to losing air. She'd free them, and be greeted by rapid punches from the ninja.

She and Carson had a good pattern worked out, but it seemed more and more fighters came to fight, similar to what happened on Korpus. When a breach regarding incoming reinforcements occurred, Ray ignited his palms, and heated up the arms of the two men behind him, subsequently knocking them down. Jane felt some relief and lunged for the Blades, which the murderer had dropped. She picked it up and sliced apart four ropes, freeing Rook, Pia, and Borris, even Quick's dying body.

Jane watched in horror as the director started losing the battle of life, coughing harshly. "Jane..." he whispered. "Promise me you'll reach home safely. I'm sorry for all this I've brought you into, but the galaxy has you and your friends to thank."

Her eyes started to swell, and managed a nod. "I promise."

Jane left him, and also made a mental note to come back for the body when the battle ended. Pia looked at her with reassuring eyes and pulled out hidden two pistols from her belt. Rook and Borris followed, giving new hope to their outnumbering situation.

* * *

Sam was doing fine himself, since hurdling rocks aimed at people's legs wasn't exactly hard to do for him, but dodging the bullets was. But when incoming waves of new fighters grew fewer in number, his next move was to beat up Casmir, who was just helplessly running around, covered by his own men. Unfortunately, he had underestimated the director and failed to throw real punches at the target.

It ended up being brains versus brawn, and brawn was losing. Casmir was just too good at dodging and in hand-to-hand combat, even with the deep scar that was yet to be medically attended to. The good part was that Carson had come to help his best friend, but their opponent had found a revolver lying on the ground beside a fallen recruit. Sam punched Casmir hard, knuckles slamming into the burnt scar.

The director roared and pressed the trigger before the boy could escape, and Sam went sprawling. It hurt, but wasn't as painful as how a normal eighteen-year-old would feel it. His skin was stronger than average, hopefully able to survive a shot without immediate aid. Carson had his revenge and beat the man up with mixed styles of martial arts, procuring the revolver in the process. He aimed it at Conquest's director, fire in his eyes.

"Tell your army to stand down and surrender, or I'll shoot," he told Casmir.

The threatened man laughed again for his second intimidation that day. "Carson, you really do act fast, but you can't say the same for your thinking, can you?" Carson stood there, confused. His finger twitched, almost hitting the trigger.

"Watch out!" Sam yelled, running to cover his friend from the incoming danger while grasping his abdomen in discomfort. But he was too late, and a small grenade started beeping near them. He pushed Carson down, and saw Casmir running away before the ground beneath them shook. The explosion left his ears ringing, and scattered shards of metal dispersed.

When the dust cleared, he slowly got up, and scoured for the ninja. But Carson got up on his own, stiffening his leg in pain. Sam noticed the leg was bleeding from the explosion. He supported his friend, walking to Ray step by step, favoring the lacerated appendage.