Chapter 15: Going Up

Ray wiped a tear off before slamming his hands together, causing a strong wave of burning heat to hit the traitors' faces. Not really effective, the guards huddled behind Baron and Terah, as the former agent detached a small disk from her shoulder and threw it up in the air. It split into two and out from the core slowly came a force field. The energy-absorbing dome protected Conquest's guards and the traitors, but it also allowed them to shoot the Specials.

As Carson swiftly dodged the bullets, the other four teenagers did their best to protect one another. The young ninja couldn't penetrate the force field, even with his electric katana. But to make matters worse, two guards switched their mere guns with a beam cannon. The two heavily handheld cannons shot out a bright green beam, frightening the four. "Sarah and I will take care of the beams! Sam and Carson, you two try to destroy the disk from on top of the dome. Jane, you try to counter the bullets before it kills us," Ray ordered.

Ray and Sarah's beams both successfully countered Conquest's, like they did when they fought Torg. Ray sighed. It felt like it was just yesterday when Rob and Baron were congratulating them for defeating the metal robot. But now Rob was gone, and Baron turned out to be a traitor. As Ray started to overpower the opposing beam, his eyes wandered off to Rob's body, lying lifelessly on the ground. The reoccurring scene angered him once again. But this time it was not directed towards himself, but at the group enclosed in the force field. He started to walk forward, still blasting out a heat beam. He walked until he was almost four feet away from the cannon.

He looked to his left and saw Sarah parallel to where he was standing. And with one last burst of energy, both cannons exploded. As the two nineteen-year-olds stepped back in awe, the energy shield suddenly disappeared! Ray looked up and saw Sam squish the small disk in his palms. Now the two duos were done with their job, but Jane wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Sam and Carson both quickly swept through the enemy, throwing punches and smashing people together. Terah and Baron were tied up, and Chris, with a burnt arm and painful stomach, was forced to follow the four and help them escape. "But before we escape this underground base," Ray explained to Chris, "we'll have to first find our friend. You have no choice but to obey."

Chris solemnly nodded, clinging to the wall for support while holding his stomach with his good hand. Ray scanned the area one last time before exiting the room and into a hallway. But he noticed that the other PROTECT recruits and Commander Rook weren't in sight. "Guess we'll have to find the PROTECT recruits too," Ray added. "But we can't split up."

They started walking down the long but wide hall, and oddly but conveniently, no one was there to pick a fight with them. Ray thought this was a great time to ask a few questions to their extra company. "So, Chris, what exactly were you going to do with us once fully trained?" Chris just shook his head, his burnt arm looking worse without immediate aid.

Carson quickly flashed his katana across the assistant director's face, barely missing contact. "Tell us," he whispered. A stern look and the threat was enough warning. Chris held up a finger and slouched on the wall.

"I assume you have heard about the Khalanium Blades, eh? Well, we want it too. With its strength and ability to be multiplied, more worlds will join our cause for peace and universal unity. So when Lok told me that you five were chosen by the Red Lightning, Conquest took action," Chris explained. "And Project Alpha helps a lot too."

Ray could see the rage in Sarah and Carson's eyes. But he decided to remain calm and learn more. "How about those wolves that came out a portal Quick told us about? Did you send them?"

"No, but like I said, Conquest has already united four major planets across the universe. And I'm only one of the assistants."

"Ok, now get up. We can't lose much time. Where do you think they went?"