Chapter 25: Android

Ray was filled with enough confusion to not pay attention to anything the randomly appearing woman had said. "Excuse me, who are you?" he asked, asking one question at a time.

She laughed. "Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot all this is too much to process right now. I am Bea Rold. I first designed and created this ancient temple more than a millennium ago, in hopes of finding a worthy wielder for the weapon I found. You all have been challenged both physically and mentally, and succeeded wonderfully, though I am terribly sorry for the last one. Still, the most powerful weapon is now in your hands. Guard it with your life."

Five heads nodded respectfully. Ray thought she seemed much younger than what a thousand-year-old human would look like, but he didn't dare ask how. The ground before Bea crumbled down and a golden pedestal rose up. And on it lay a double-bladed sword connected by a short golden handle. Bea cautiously lifted the sword from its placement and offered it to Ray, bowing in recognition. Ray was reluctant to take it. Why him? He took it anyway and held it firmly, not knowing what to do next. His friends huddled around him, touching and feeling the "all powerful" Blades.

"Hey, what's so special about this thing? It's just another old-style fighting tool...but polished, right?" Carson observed. "Mine is more unique." Bea shot him a stern glare that almost looked offended. Ray was thinking the same thing while spinning the object like he did as a kid with any wooden stick he could find.

"Slam it into the ground and you'll know what I mean," she explained. Ray heard and crashed it down hard. He expected it to only go an inch below the floor, but instead it went down what he estimated as a foot long. He pulled it out with minimum effort, jaw wide open. The flooring was solid ground like what you'd find in a jungle, and the blade going through would be almost an impossibility. Still, it happened.

"It is made of Khalanium, a metal which can cut through any other known material, even diamonds," she said, grinning like she had never seen anyone as shocked and in disbelief as the five teenagers. "Anyway, I don't wish to delay your return to North America you've been waiting for." And with that, she made a circle with her two fingers in the air. And in Ray's perspective, the world around him pixelated, and the next thing he saw were abundant trees and grass, along with parrots and birds. They were in the jungle again.

Ray's initial reaction was to find Pia, Rook, and Borris right away. But he recalled the strong possibility of Conquest attacking them for the acquired weapon. In fact, the three adults could have been already captured and used for bait. He motioned his friends to a halt.

"What's wrong, Ray?" Jane asked. Ray immediately shushed her.

"Conquest might be waiting for us, watching us," he replied quietly.

They all spread out, not to far from each other, making sure they weren't being followed or spied. When other signs of life were affirmed negative, they reluctantly made their way back to the jet, following the leader with a map. Entering what would be the landing space, they gasped upon seeing fire and smoke instead. The jet was still quite intact but wasn't it good shape at all. There were bullet marks on the fuselage, and a torn piece of red cloth lay on the ground. Ray could only assume that whoever wrecked their way home had a cape...or used a thin towel and decided to tear it. No one dared to shout or call for the rest of the team, lest they draw unwanted attention. Even though, they all had the feeling that any bush nearby could have a guy behind it.

The entrance into the spacecraft was sealed shut, and the lonely teenagers were beginning to feel really thirsty. But it wasn't like they were all willing to carry a water jug strapped to them the whole way through. Besides, their powers and messed up DNA gave them the ability to hold off hunger and thirst longer. Distracted and carried away, not one heard or noticed the harsh rustling of trees until the noise was too close.