Part 5: Tum Kahan Ho... Pukaro

Taking a deep breath, she walked up to his room, her feet trembling, her heart quaking. She paused at the door, and then seeing it was open, she took another deep breath and walked in.

The room was empty.

She realised she had been holding her breath, and exhaled loudly. Tentatively, she walked towards the bathroom, but one glance confirmed her suspicions - that was empty too.

Where was Raman she wondered. He must have known I would come when I saw the note and the album. Or does he feel that he has lost me forever, that I don't trust him enough anymore to believe him when he says that he loves me?"

No, if that was the case, he would not have left the gift for her. Would not have left the note. She knew him at least that much. He still had hope for them, and that meant he would be expecting her.

Ishita felt a wave of anticipation engulf her again.

"Raman...   " It was a yearning that escaped her lips, his name spoken aloud verbalizing all her pent up emotions.

She needed to see him now, to hear him say what he had written, to confirm that what she had been seeing in his eyes for the past month was more than just guilt and regret, to know, to finally know for herself, that it was love...

Pukaro tum kahan ho pukaro
Mujh ko yun na rulao Ho kahan tum bulao

If he wasn't here, then he must be downstairs, she reasoned. Maybe he had not come up at all. Yes - he must be waiting for her downstairs.

She turned on her heel and ran out of the room, slowing down when she got to the staircase, willing her wildly beating heart to slow down.

"Calm down Ishita" she told herself sternly. "You don't need to run. He is waiting. Just go calmly" And then she took a few deep breaths, before determinedly walking down the stairs.

***************************************
The hall was dimly lit and silent, the front door closed. There was no one there. Neither the chef, nor the butler and nor her husband.

Ishita stood in the hall, looking around uncertainly, disappointment flooding her heart.

Where was he? How could he just do something so sweet, so life changing for them both and then just... disappear?

"Raman" she called several times. "Raman. Kahan ho? Koi hai?"
(Raman. Raman, where are you? Is there anyone here?)

Getting no response, she went around the hall, looking into each dim recess as she passed by.

"Raman" she called again. "Raman"

But there was no response.

Khelo na humjoli Mujh se ankh micholi
Shaam hui ghar chali Panchiyon ki toliii

She was getting worried now, wondering where he was, when her eye was caught by some curtains towards the back of the hall, swaying, billowing in the wind. She walked quickly to the place and saw that the curtains covered french doors leading to the back garden. And the doors were slightly ajar.

Her nervousness abated a bit as she peered outside, looking to see if he was out there.

Of course, he must have gone into the garden.

Her eyes misted a bit as she remembered the little walks they had used to take at home. He always liked to walk after dinner - he must be in the garden, he must be waiting for her there. She was determined now to talk to him straight away, there could be no more waiting.