"So we know that she was crazy, right?" Jennifer added her input. "But was she really crazy enough to just go and murder someone? I mean she had to have some kind of motive."

"Well I think that she may have figured out that Ronnie's dad was cheating on her. We haven't gone through everything yet, but that's what I'm suspecting." Jc spoke his theory.

Connor took a deep sigh and began to pick at his food once again, seeming a little less interested in it now. I looked down at my untouched place and felt a little nauseous, I was already dealing with so much there was no way I could keep food down right now. I looked at my watch, it was already 7:30.

"I don't know how much more of this I can deal with tonight. Do you want to look through the rest of this?" I pushed the stack of papers across our small table in Jenny's direction. "If you don't, it's alright, I just think my brain is getting foggy looking at all of it." She accepted the papers and gave me a weak smile.

"Of course. If I find anything else important, I'll tell you guys." Jennifer responded sincerely.

Jc began to collect our dirty trays and make a pile to carry over to the trash can, Connor helping him. The two boys walked up to the front counter to get refills on their drinks, and I felt a small pang of happiness. It really wasn't much, but just seeing the two of them walking together made me happy. After everything we had all been through, it was nice to know that some of my best friends were becoming friends with each other.

"Veronica?" Jenny asked tentatively.

I turned to look at her and nodded in her direction, urging her to go on.

"I'm really glad that you're kinda my friend now." She smiled at me and gave a little laugh. "I don't know how this all happened, but it feels really great to know someone who thinks about something other than who they're going to impress."

Overwhelmed by her sudden declaration, and honestly everything else, I wasn't sure how to respond, so I just reached for her hand that was on the table and gave it a light squeeze.

The boys returned to our table and Connor handed me a box for my food. I honestly didn't want it, but I know that him and Jc both would insist on me eating something later, so I didn't protest and slid my untouched food into the box.

"Ready to go?" Jc asked us before we all collectively stood up and began towards the door.

Jennifer stopped at her car and turned back to look at us. "I really want to start looking through these papers. Connor, can you drive?"

Connor shook his head before responding. "Honestly, I want to look at them too. I'd be too distracted driving if you were reading them next to me."

Jennifer looked at me momentarily, as if forgetting that I couldn't drive. She then turned her gaze to Jc, and laughed a little before tossing him the keys. He caught them with one hand and looked at her beaming.

"I get to drive this thing?" He gestured towards her high-end sports car.

"You're my only option." She nodded. "And if you crash it we will never be friends."

I was a little worried at her comment but was instantly relieved when I saw the smile on her face. Jc happily hopped in the driver's seat, and I took the front with him. Connor opened the door for Jennifer, who scooted to the middle of the back seat before Connor joined on her left.

...

"This is so frustrating!" Jenny exclaimed as we walked through the door of Jc's apartment.

I rolled my eyes at her, as if to say "That's obvious."