Chapter 36

***Connor’s POV***

“Jenny?” I said through the door to the bathroom. She ran in here a few minutes ago, and I knew that I needed to apologise to her. After I called her all of those names, I realised that I was being just as cruel to her as she was being to Grace and Kara.

“Jennifer, please come out, I want to talk to you,” I said, knocking lightly on the door again.

When it still didn’t budge, I sat down on the carpet with by back against the wall. From where I was, I could hear her sobs clearly, and it just made me feel worse. I just wished that I could make her smile again, because hearing her so upset was killing me.

“Jenny come back!” I started to sing at the top of my lungs. “You can blame it all on meeee!”

As I was beginning the next verse, I saw the handle of the door slowly move, and Jennifer emerged from it seconds later.

“You’re a terrible singer,” She said with a small smile before turning and walking down the hallway in the direction of my room.

“Well that wasn’t very nice, was it?” I tried to joke with her. All I got was a small chuckle, not good enough for me.

“Come on Jenny, Santa’s listening. If he heard that, he might not come to this house tonight,” This time a got a good laugh out of her.

When I made it to my room, I shut the door behind me, something I normally wasn’t very comfortable with when it was just me and Jennifer, but I was beginning to trust her more. And I just wanted to be nice to her, she deserved that much.

She may be a real bitch sometimes, but it doesn’t give me the right to treat her like one. I’ve been trying to work on being nicer to people lately, and I think that I was getting pretty good at it.

“I’m sorry for being a dick,” I said once she was settled on my bed.

“You were a dick, weren’t you?” She smiled, and I swatted her arm lightly.

“Hey, you weren’t all that great either,” I reminded her, and her smile vanished.

She looked down at her hands, thinking over what she was going to say. I couldn’t tell if she felt guilty or mad, but the silence was worse than both.

“I’m sorry, I guess. I just don’t know how to control myself, you know? I’m so used to picking on people all the time that it’s become second-nature, and that’s really not a good thing. Sometimes I really wish that I was a better person, and that I made different decisions,” She confessed to me.

I really hadn’t expected her to say anything like that. It shocked me to hear those words come out of her mouth, because I thought that she honestly didn’t care. It was nice to know that she wanted to change from who she used to be, and who she is now.

“If you want me to be completely honest, yeah you can be a real bitch sometimes,” She looked as if she was about to slap me, and I wouldn’t blame her, but she let me continue.

“But I know who you were before all of this shit happened to you. You used to be a great person, and I know that you can be that girl again. I really liked that girl, Jenny, and I know that you did too.” I finished, and her eyes were getting glossy again.

Her expression changed from mad to sad, and I was relieved, as terrible as that sounds, because she is so much easier to deal with when she’s just upset, and maybe I could get to know the real her a little bit better.

“I just wish that people wouldn’t automatically think ‘slut’ when they saw me walking by. I know that I made some really terrible decisions, but I haven’t done that in a while. The worst part is that sometimes I agree with them. I really am a whore, aren’t I?” She choked the last few words out, and now she was full-on crying.