A Mayor & A Wolf

Marcus

Marcus sat in an empty office, sipping his coffee quietly. He was familiar with this office as it wasn't his first time being there.

Marcus could hear footsteps in the distance, the slight tapping sound increased and stopped when it reached the door. He watched as the door revealed a man in his late thirties, light brown hair brushed neatly, a short trimmed moustache and brown eyes. This particular man seemed very ordinary, but the position that he had in town made him quite the opposite.

"Mayor Harry."

Marcus stood up and reached out for a handshake. Even though Harry knew that this man had robbed him a few days ago he remained a gentleman and shook his hand. The two sat opposite of each other on the couch observing the other.

"What do I owe the honour, Marcus Roman?" 

"You can drop your formalities. I'm assuming you're not particularly fond of me at the moment."

"Well stealing from my office isn't the best first impression."

"You must know my reasonings."

"I do. Then you should know why I must refuse to cooperate with you."

Marcus sighed. "I apologise. I don't mean any disrespect, you're doing a great job as mayor. Protecting the town, forming alliances with humans and....non-humans. This world you've discovered must be quite overwhelming for you."

"It was. But like you said, I have a great alliance."

"Yes, your team of supernatural beings is quite amazing. Especially, the fact you have a god as a member."

Harry frowned. He knew exactly what documents were taken and how much the pack must have known by now. But he hated hearing it out loud, at least he was smart enough to not put in Ezra's name in any of the files. 

"I want to protect the god just as much as you do-" Marcus continued. "-The god belongs to a pack. Not here, where you're constantly getting attacked by rogues."

"The god doesn't want to join a pack. You can't just force them."

"The best chance of the god surviving is by being in a pack. Even if the god doesn't join us, there will be others to come and then it'll only just get worse." 

"Then tell me why you're the best option?"

"You know my reputation, I'm not the villain. I may seem intimidating but I assure you that I will approach the god with honesty. I'll admit that by having the god join us strengthens our pack, but to us werewolves it's more than just that. We will honour the god's wishes and protect them in our care. Don't you care for the god?"

"With my life."

"Your town has already suffered enough rogue attacks. If a rogue was to take advantage of the god, the young wolf will be forced to become a weapon. And living here is only going to stop the wolf from growing to it's full potential."

"I understand what you're saying. But honestly it's not my final say whether the god chooses you." 

"Then tell me who the god is and I will convince them." 

"...It's difficult." 

"How so?" Marcus frowned. 

"The god as grown up barely knowing anything about packs and other wolves. It's all too overwhelming." 

"But if you let me talk-" 

"Like I said, I don't have the final say in this. I will do whatever the god wants me to do and at the moment it is protecting their identity." 

Marcus laid back into his chair, allowing the feeling of annoyance overtake him. The rogues were right, even when information was out there no one would talk and no one would reveal a name. 

Marcus then thought about the name 'Mia Heathe'. She was someone that consistently popped up everywhere. It was in the files and Shay told him that she was important. 

"What about Mia Heathe?" 

Harry frowned, yet questionably looked at Marcus. 

"You read the files. She passed away." 

"She was human?" 

Harry nodded. "An innocent human who got caught up in this mess." 

"Someone told me that she was important." 

"Who said that?" 

"Confidential." 

"Then it's the same about her."

"The Rogue Shay told me." 

"You talked to Shay?" Harry asked in concern. 

"We made a deal." 

"....She was young. A savage rogue took her life and we all grieved for her." 

"Even though barely anyone in town knows the truth?" 

"We had to hide the truth. What? Do you want me going around telling people what really happened?" 

"No...You handled it well. But what is her relation to the god? She obviously triggered the howl." 

Harry's mind was clouded with memories of the past of that day, which caused his emotions to build up. 

"They were together..." 

"They were mates?" 

"Mates? Lovers? They were basically inseparable. Ez-" 

The sound of the door opening made the two men stop their conversation. In came in a young women who nervously looked at them. 

"M-my apologise. Mayor there's been another animal attack, Laura requests you to come immediately." 

Harry was brought back to reality, almost realising that he nearly spilled Ezra's name. He immediately got up but looked back at Marcus. Marcus seemed to understand Harry's face causing him to frown. 

"You think my pack caused the attack?" Marcus said bitterly. 

"I have to be cautious." 

"You mustn't judge so easily Mayor." 

"Neither should you." 

Harry turned his back to Marcus and headed towards the door with his secretary. Marcus watched intently and heightened his hearing to listen to their conversation as they walked away. 

"Where is the attack?" Harry asked in a low voice. 

"At the Holland neighbourhood. There was a high school party."

"A party? What about my curfew?!" 

"They're teenagers, what do you expect?" 

Harry steps came to a holt. 

"Were any children hurt?" 

"Just one." 

"Who?" Harry's eyes widened. 

"Ezra Keona."