Chapter 5: Drunken Thoughts, Pillow Talk

Start from the beginning

"I don't even fucking know." He replies, coming out as a murmur. "It's late." Elena states. "Yeah." Calum's voice trails off, as his eyes darts to what Elena was holding. "Is that-"

"Don't even ask." Elena sighs as she motions for Calum to come in, smelling the intoxication laced within his body and clothing. "You're drunk." Elena says as she shuts the door. Calum plopped down on her couch as he replies, "No. I'm Calum."

"You think you're funny, don't you?" Elena says. Calum just shrugs, lying down on the couch, whilst staring up at the ceiling. This was an oppurtunity for Elena to get
close with Calum whilst he was drunk. So hesitantly, she sits down by Calum's feet, sighing.

"Love sucks, doesn't it?" Calum suddenly says out of nowhere. "I wouldn't know." Elena replies, absentmindedly saying it out loud. "Are you saying you've never been in love?" Calum asks, sitting up to face her. "I've loved someone before. But I've never fallen in love so deep." Elena admits.

It was true. Out of all these people she had been with, not once she was fallen. Or tried to. That butterfly feeling wasn't there. She was longing for something, something that no one could give. "I keep confusing both of those." Calum says. Elena faces him as Calum continues, "Loving and being in love. I don't know what I felt for Bailey."

This was it. The start of Elena's oppurtunity. But yet, there was something holding her back. She was in doubt, somehow. "Sure she was there at my darkest and lightest. But somehow, I can't help but think if she was really there for me. Not for anything else." Calum continues to express the thoughts of his heart.

"You're so quiet, how are you quiet?" Calum asks Elena, sitting up, only inches apart from her. "I just don't have anything to say, I guess. My mind is scattered, I lose my thoughts within them." Elena replies. "Well, the beauty of having a scattered mind is that they think more, talk less." Calum points out.

"How are you even drunk at this point?" Elena asks jokingly. "Oh, I'm past drunk. This is me half sober." Calum replies. "If that's the case, I think it's time for you to go." Elena stands up, her figure towering over Calum's. "I still won't pass the sobriety test." Calum stands up and walks the heel-to-toe test, and ended up just tripping himself over after 4 steps. 

Elena sighs exasperately as she crosses her arms over her chest. "You're sleeping on the couch." She says as she walks into her bedroom, grabbing two pillows and a blanket. She walks back into the living room and throws them at Calum. "I don't see the point of sleeping in different rooms. We've slept in the same bed before." Calum says. 

"I don't see the point of you sleeping here. You can always sleep in your car." Elena scoffs. "I'll suffocate to death, you know that right?" Calum sasses. "Come on, just let me sleep in your bed, it's been a long night, my back is aching, my head is pounding, I promise I won't try anything." Calum pleaded. 

Elena pondered for a moment, maybe this is the least she could do after what she put him through. "Fine. But if you try to do anything, I will drag your ass out." Elena says as she walks into the bedroom and get into her side of the bed. Calum removed his shoes, and his jacket  and laid down beside Elena. 

Elena shifted uncomfortably as Calum let out a breath. "Can I ask you a question?" Calum asks. "No." Elena replies bluntly. "What caused your brain injury?" Calum asks, looking at the ceiling, curiously. "That's none of your business." Elena says as she tries to shut her eyes. "You passed out on me, I was scared for you. I didn't know you, or how you passed out." Calum says, frustrated as he turns on his side to face her. 

Elena shot her eyes open, "Why are we talking about this now?" 

"You could've been really hurt,  or worse, you could've actually died." Elena turns her body and faces him, "I'm not scared of death." She just states. Calum furrows his brows, "Why?" 

"I just - there's nothing that's making me think twice about it. There's nothing in my life that makes me afraid of dying." Elena explains. 

Even at his half intoxicated state, he still thought that Elena's mindset was kind of - sad. She was ready to embrace death if it ever came. And he, he was still picking up his life, wondering will death strike him at any moment. "What about you? Are you scared?" Elena asks him, after a few moments of silence. 

"I don't even know. Everything in my life is fast-paced. One second I was this young boy in Australia, thinking he'll make it, and today, I am exactly who I dreamt of. And when I look at my future from now, it's hard to see through." Calum says. 

Elena watched as his lips moved every time he spoke. She needed to make him fall for her. Not the other way around. Calum was this person she never thought would come into her life. Someone who seemed so real, and someone who seemed so quiet, yet every moment with him feels she's in another world, a world where she wanted to be. 

"You're quiet now." Calum says, Elena was still gawking at him. "I'm sleepy." Elena says, Calum notices her let out a huge sigh as her chest heaves. "Goodnight." Calum mumbles as he turns the other side. "Goodnight." Elena mutters, facing the other side as well. 

//