Chapter Forty: Succeeding Sucks

Start from the beginning

After a few minutes, Faye pulled it together.  She was scared, but she was saving him, hopefully herself, and an unknown amount of innocent pack members.

She had to be strong or the plan for her red-eye back to Pennsylvania would never work. She had to keep her shit together, keep her emotions locked down which had never been a problem up until Cyrus entered her life.

"Ugh..." She groaned and decided she needed to stay busy, it was the only way she was gonna make it through the day without cracking.

She righted the mess she made in the closet then washed clothes and cleaned the house unnecessarily. She showered and dressed and then there was nothing left to do but wait for Cyrus to come home, and Elsie to come get her.

Cyrus wasn't thrilled at the idea of letting Faye go off with Elsie, but deep down he knew she would be safe and he needed the time to get things ready. He was going to surprise her with flowers and hopefully a ring when she came home. He had to admit, it was perfect timing for her to have a night out. 

He drove into town to get as many flowers as he could and a suitable piece of jewelry to present her with. He went to every flower shop in the area and cleaned them out which took forever.  In all, he purchased over a thousand blooms.  His next step was to pick out something that wouldn't fade or die.

There was only one jewelry store in the area that he knew would have the kind of piece he was after, Emerald Cove Jewelers.  It was a Pack owned business and he knew the owner, Elizabeth. She had assisted him in locating a broach for a client of his a few years back and he knew she would likely have something worthy.

When he pulled up to the boutique, there was a sign suction cupped to the door that read CLOSED in bold black letters, but there was still a car parked out front.  He hopped out of the truck and knocked on the glass door. It took a few minutes for Elizabeth, who was in her fifties, and a teenage girl he didn't know, to peak out.

He waived and Elizabeth sauntered over yelling through the door, "It's nice to see you Cyrus, but we're closed."

She disliked him, but it was driven by fear of what he was not who he was. It was the same with most the Pack so he didn't expect her to be thrilled to see him, but he hoped she would let him in.

"Please, it's an emergency," he said allowing himself to look hopeless.

"The only kind of emergency that involves jewelry is one you created, so save your sorry little looks and shoo," she responded heartlessly, narrowing her eyes at him.

"I promise to make it worth your while. I'm desperate. Please..."

She put her hands on her hips, mulling it over, then unlocked the door asking, "What'd ya need," all annoyed.

"Something special."

"Is it for our guest, Faye," she asked as the other girl said, "Mom, let him in, you know Louis would want you to."

Cyrus smiled at her and she began twisting her long chestnut hair nervously.

"Oh alright," Elizabeth said, and moved out of the way.

"Thank you so much," then he held his hand out to the girl, "I'm Cyrus."

She looked to Elizabeth as if she was seeking permission, which she received in the form of a nod before extending her hand to shake his, "Kayla."

"You have five minutes," Elizabeth warned, and Cyrus was determined to waste none of it.

He looked over the display cases and said, "I have to pay in cash, but I don't have a lot on me, Can I owe you?"