Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"I loved her, too," I sniffled. "But, I'm afraid for Edward ... he's ..."

"He'll be fine. He's a lot like you, Bella. He'll probably push everyone away, but be patient," Dad said, kissing my forehead.

"I didn't push everyone away," I huffed.

"Yes, you did," Dad snorted. "Bells, just love him."

"You know I do," I sniffed, sliding my arms around my dad's neck. He held me close, kissing my forehead before getting up. "You going home?"

"I am," Dad nodded. "With Edward taking some time off with his mother's passing, I'm stepping into my old job with the mayor's approval."

"Did Edward ask for that?" I asked.

"He didn't, but I'm trying to make things easier for him," Dad said. "Love you, sweetheart."

"Love you, too, Dad," I said. "Stay healthy, old man. Don't get shot."

"I'm planning on sitting at the desk, partaking in some nasty sludge they try to pass as coffee and eating day-old donuts. I will not be out in the field, Bells," Dad laughed.

He kissed my forehead again, leaving me in the living room. I took a breath, wiping my cheeks and making my way upstairs. I saw Edward on Grace's bed, with both of my children curled up on him. His fingers were caressing Grace's long curls and he held John gently to his chest. "Hey," I whispered, walking into the bedroom. "How are they?"

"Grace is upset and John is angry," Edward murmured, kissing both of their heads. He chuckled humorlessly. "They made me promise to never go away."

"They're understandably upset," I said, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "How are you?"

"Numb," he said, tightening his hold on the children. "In my head, I know she's gone and I'm relieved she's not in pain, but selfishly I wish she was still around." Tears trickled down his cheeks. He looked at me, his eyes anguished. "I don't know what to do, Bella."

"I think you need to come with me, baby," I said. "Let's get you out of those clothes and get some sleep."

"I don't know if I can sleep, Bella," he muttered, maneuvering Grace off his chest and onto her bed. He smoothed his shirt, looked down at the kids. I walked to him, taking his hand. He jumped, looking down at our hands. He ran his thumb over my knuckles. Tugging on my hand, he led me out of Grace's bedroom and he pulled me upstairs. Once the door was closed, he pulled me into his arms and held me tightly. He didn't sob, but I felt his tears. I kept my arms around his body. Pulling back, he stared at me. "How did you do this with Jake?"

"Come on, baby," I whispered, taking him to the bathroom. "Let's wash the day away."

"Tell me, Bella. How did you do it?" he asked.

"Those little ones in the bedroom. They were my strength, Edward," I answered. "I also had a strong support system with Billy and my in-laws. You have all of us, Edward. Your mom is gone, but you're not alone."

"I'm not alone," he muttered, staring at me as if I was going to disappear. I nodded, kissing his forehead, both of his cheeks and ending with his lips. I took both of his hands, squeezing them gently. Turning on the water in the shower, I released his hands and unbuttoned his shirt. Carefully, deliberately, I removed his shirt and shoved it over his shoulders. He took my hand, placing it on the pink ribbon tattoo over his heart. "I'm not alone, right?"

"You'll never be alone, Edward," I said, tracing the tattoo. "Come on, baby. Let's get you in the shower. Wash away the day and get some sleep." He nodded woodenly, unbuckling his belt and removing his pants. I took off my clothes and taking Edward's hand when he was completely naked. We went into the shower, allowing the water to drench us. His arms snaked around my body and he curled around me. "What do you need, Edward?"