Chapter Twenty-Seven

This story is dedicated to my friend, Pam, who recently lost her husband to cancer. She's a wonderful friend with a beautiful soul who didn't deserve losing her best friend to such a devastating and deadly disease. I love you, girl.

Up next will be the funeral, some drama between Bella and Edward and some good news at the end.

Chapter Twenty-Seven

BPOV

"I'm going to check on the kids," I said.

"Can I check on them? I want to tell them about Mom," Edward whispered. He took my hand, his thumb caressing over my knuckles. "You being here, or rather being there with my mom, it meant everything to me and to her, too. I don't know if I could have done it without you, Bella."

"There's nowhere I wanted to be, Edward," I said, brushing his hair back. "Do you want back up with the kids? They're going to have questions. Tough questions."

"No, I think I'll be okay. Charlie sent a text that they're both in Grace's room. He's reading to them," Edward muttered. He rubbed his face, looking ten years older and so weary, despondent. "I love you, sweetness."

"Edward, I love you more," I breathed, kissing his lips. He hugged me tightly before heading upstairs, going into Grace's bedroom. I pulled out my cell phone and sat down on the couch. I dialed Alice.

"How is she?" Alice asked when she picked up the phone.

"She's gone, Alice," I cried, tears leaking onto my cheeks. "She went peacefully and she was not in any pain. She just took a breath, released it and was gone." I curled up on the couch, clutching a pillow. "I think it goes without saying that I'm going to be out for a few days, maybe a week. I'm sorry. I need to focus on my family right now."

"Don't even apologize, Hells Bells," Alice snapped. "Seriously, you just lost your mother-in-law. You take all the time you need. I'll speak to the district office and get you some emergency time off. I'm sorry for your loss. Send my love to Edward, will you?"

"I will, Alice. I'm sorry about putting you in a lurch and leaving you with the Carters and dealing with Micah's mom," I said, the guilt building up inside. "I ..." A sob burst through my lips and I buried my face into the pillow.

"Bella, no. It's alright. Don't cry, sweetie," Alice sniffled. "You take care of you. Take care of your family. I'll handle everything else. Call me anytime."

"Okay, Ali-cat," I cried. "Love you."

"Love you, too, Hells Bells," she murmured, hanging up the phone.

I leaned my cheek against the couch cushion. My dad came down, sitting down next to me. "Edward's talking to the kiddos. Grace is in shock. John is angry, trying not to cry but when he saw Edward cry, the dam flew open. The three of them are curled up on Grace's bed, crying."

"He's taking this hard, Dad," I sighed. "I am, too. This was the first death I've experienced since Jake. I feel lost, Dad. I don't know how to handle this. I don't know how to make it easier for Edward, for the kids ... I know I have to be strong ..."

"Bella, you don't have to be strong. You've been strong for so many years after you lost Jacob. You grieve how you see fit, sweetheart," Dad said, hugging me close. "And we'll be here for you and for Edward. Your mother actually went over to see how Carlisle was doing after you called. She was concerned he wasn't eating."

"He did look really skinny, but he was so worried about Esme," I sighed. "We all were. Her illness was stubborn."

"It wasn't the cancer, Bells. It was her. She wanted to make sure that her children were happy," Dad explained. "Esme was a strong woman, filled with spit and vinegar, but for so much love for her family. You were included in that. I know that she loved you."