They say in heaven, love comes first

Start from the beginning

"My name's Belle."

    Belle smiled shyly. The other woman in front of her was so pretty. She was almost at a loss for words. She hoped that Ruby wouldn't be feeling uncomfortable with the way their interaction had gone so far.

"So, uh, Belle, What did you want coming in here, uh, food right?"

  Ruby fidgets with the end of her apron under the counter. Belle leans backwards on her heels. She ponders a moment humming, before taking an order,

"I'll have the burger please!"

  Ruby writer down the order and hands the paper to her Granny. Granny begins to cook Belle's order, a hamburger. The smoke sizzles from the stove as she cooks.

"Coming right up Belle!"

   Belle smiled as she watched Ruby skitter about the kitchen like a busy squirrel. It was absolutely adorable to her. Ruby walks over to Belle while they wait for Granny to cook.

"Granny is such an amazing chef, I hope you can visit more often to try more of her food."

   Ruby have a wide smile to the adorable woman in front of her, only separated by a counter. Maybe someday they could be closer than this.

'Ah, no, Ruby, don't think like that, you're at work'

    Ruby smiled awkwardly at Belle. Belle's grin as Ruby had smiled at her. She nervously fidgets.

" I, uh, when do you get off of work Ruby? "

    Ruby felt a bit shocked. Did, did Belle actually want to hangout with her after she got done? Ruby stammered a bit,

"I, um, eight o'clock! Wh-why do you ask?"

    Ruby felt her pulse racing as thoughts began to flood her head of Belle and what she could ever want. To hangout? To watch a movie? Talk? Something more? She felt too nervous for her own good.

"I was wondering if maybe you wanted, um"

   Wait, what was she thinking? You just met this girl. You couldn't ask her on a date. You didn't even know if she was into women.

"I wanted to exchange numbers, if, you have a cell phone that is?"

    Belle felt a twinge of adrenaline course through her veins as she thought of how Ruby would take this. Her customer practically begging to stay in contact. She's been seen as needy. And maybe she was at this point. She blushed and began to struggle with her words,

"But, uh, it's okay if you wouldn't want to"

   Ruby's cheeks flushed a dark shade of red. Her newfound crush was asking to exchange numbers. Was this her lucky day?

"Food's ready Ruby!"

      Ruby's focus was broken from the beautiful woman before her. She scrambles over to the kitchen and grabs the burger. She carries the plate over to Belle, placing it gracefully in front of her.

"i, um, yes. I want to exchange numbers when do get done work"

   Belle smiled and grabbed her burger and took a few bites. Her eyes lit up brightly. The food tasted so good!

"This is so good!"

   Ruby only managed a slight nod. Her voice a bit hesitant.

"I'm glad you like it!"

    Soon Belle finished and paid. She left Granny 's and the bell above the door chimed as she left. Ruby couldn't help but feel a bit sad when Belle was no longer in her presence. Ruby let's put a small sigh as she brings the used plate to the sink.

   Eventually the clock rolls around to eight o'clock. Ruby felt her heart pumping fast in anticipation as adrenaline courses through her veins. The fidgets with her cell phone.  She picks a chair and sits down.

   Some time passes after Ruby clocks out. Maybe she was holding onto false hope? She let out a frustrated sigh. She wouldn't be surprised if she scared Belle off for good.

   When all of a sudden, the door to Granny's opens up. The bell chimed as Belle pipes up, entering from the chilly night air.

"I'm sorry if I'm late Ruby, I was reading a book then looked at the clock and I'm so sorry!"

   Belle sits at the chair next to Ruby with a shy smile. Both girls blushed at just the sight of one another. Belle was rummaging through her bag.

"So, uh, number exchange! Here's mine!"

   Belle pulls out a piece of paper with ink on it. Belle smiled shyly at Ruby. Ruby grabs a napkin and a pen and quickly scrawled down her own phone number for Belle. She haphazardly hands Belle the napkin.

                                            "They you go"

   Ruby gave an earnest smile. Belle smiled back kindly.

 "So, uh, I can text you tonight?"

    Ruby gave a soft nod. She was so happy that Belle even wants to stay in contact.

"Yep, text me whenever"

    Ruby finger guns at Belle and she giggles. Belle gently placed a hand on Ruby's shoulder.

"You working the same shift tomorrow?"

    Ruby nodded in response to her question.

"See you tomorrow, same time then?"

    Belle smiled awkwardly and slips out of the diner, the bell chiming after her.

'God Ruby, you're such a dunce'

    Ruby mentally scolds herself. She just wanted to be happy with Belle. She finished her shift at the diner and headed home to wind down for the night.