Chapter 8: Ties

After they calmed down from the excitement, Heather left to place Brahms in the study; she turned on some music for him, she and Malcolm exited the house to take a stroll around the garden.

"It's bloody incredible, isn't it?" Malcolm exclaimed as they walked around the gazebo, "We don't really even know what were dealing with

"It's bloody incredible, isn't it?" Malcolm exclaimed as they walked around the gazebo, "We don't really even know what were dealing with. I mean, is it a ghost? Is it some sort of trapped spirit. Or a..."

Heather cut him off with a smile, "It's a boy. He's just a little boy, who died way too young."

He sighed, "Yeah. Yeah, he is." Then he smiled at her, "Well, he was lucky you came along."

Heather shook her head and chuckled, "I don't think it was luck."

"It wasn't?"

"No, I think I was brought here for a reason."

"Okay?" He was confused.

Heather sighed, "I was an only child and I lost my parents in a car accident when I was thirteen. I've been on my own ever since. I got involved with the wrong type of crowd for a while and I met this guy, Blake. He was not a good guy at all."

She chuckled, "Everyone I knew begged me to just leave him and I was going to," They moved over to a bench and sat down, "until I found out I was pregnant. He swore up and down that he was going to change for us, that he was sorry. Stupid me, I believed him, and I stayed."

She looked up sadly at Malcolm, "Then one day he came home drunk off his ass and he...went off on me again. Our neighbors heard my screams and called the ambulance, they took me to the hospital, but I already knew before I even got there that I had lost the baby."

Heather tried to swallow back the tears; this was the first time she had talked about what happened to anyone, well besides the doll, "What I am trying to say is that, I know what it feels like to lose a child. Just like the Heelshires did and I feel like that kinda ties me to them, to Brahms, and to this place." She paused and looked over, "Does it make any sense to you?"

Malcolm placed a comforting arm around her and gave her a half smile and a nod, "Yeah. Yeah, it does. But for whatever reason, I'm glad you ended up here. And I know Brahms is too."

Heather smiled, "I'm happy too, and I'm glad I've got you as a friend."

Malcolm's face dropped a little at that but he managed to pick it back up before she noticed, "Yeah, same here."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (LIYE) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heather had left Malcolm in the kitchen while she went to put Brahms to bed. She had just finished saying his prayers with him and was now tucking him in, "Thank you for today Brahms. You were such a good boy for me." She stared down at his porcelain face and gave a smile, "I'm happy that I get to be here with you. Goodnight sweetie." She bent down and gave him a kiss before standing and turning out the light and shutting the door.