Chapter 7: Playing Hide-And-Seek

The next day when Heather was taking Brahms into the study for reading time, she found some sheet music waiting for her in her usual seat.

"Brahms' lullaby?" she muttered inquisitively and looked over at the doll, "You want me to play this for you, Brahmsy?"

As per usual, the doll didn't reply, but Heather got the message. She moved over to the piano and sat the Brahms doll down beside her as she began to play.

She stopped playing and looked down at the doll, "How did I do? Hmm? Good? Want me to teach you. Brahmsy?" she chuckled and turned back to continue playing.

"I didn't know you could play." Heather jumped in shock and turned to look in the doorway where Malcolm stood holding the mail.

She placed a hand over her heart, "Malcolm." She scolded.

He chuckled, "Sorry, I tried knocking, but I guess you didn't hear."

"No I didn't, sorry." She turned to pick the doll up and stood to face Malcolm, "What are you doing here?"

He walked further into the room, "You weren't picking up your phone. I was worried, so I though I'd make the delivery a little early this week." He paused, "I can come back if you..."

Heather shook her head and smiled as she held the doll closely to her, "No that's okay, I just wasn't expecting you."

Malcolm nodded in understanding, "Right, oh, I grabbed the mail on the way in."

"Thanks," she pointed to a basket behind him, "You can put it in there, and follow me to the kitchen. Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, thanks." He followed her into the kitchen and began putting away the groceries while she made lunch.

"So how are you and Brahms getting on? Have there been anymore polite burglars loitering about?" He joked.

Heather shook her head and laughed, "We're getting on fine; no one's been in the house except Brahms and me."

"That's good to hear," he smiled over at her, "So, I was thinking I might take you up on that night-on-the-town. Dinner. Drinks. Dancing. I'll have you know I'm a legend in these parts for my dance moves."

Heather grinned back as she put the finishing touches on lunch, "I don't remember making such an offer."

Malcolm gave her a look of faux confusion, "You didn't? Are you sure? Because I distinctly remember you saying you were going to show me the world famous nightlife in these parts."

Heather chuckled as she handed him his plate, "Oh I said that, did I?"

Malcolm nodded but his mouth was full of food so I didn't verbally respond, and Heather let out another laugh at the sight of his cheeks being puffed out like a chipmunks.

She looked over at Brahms and gave a small smile, "The Heelshires are paying me an awful lot of money to watch Brahms, and they only gave me a few rules. One of them was not to leave Brahms alone. I'm sorry, but you're welcome to hang out here."