10

We pushed through the harsh winds and rain, our feet wanting to give out and collapse beneath us, but we were strong. Yet, as we wandered, I began to hear a voice, a faint whisper, this time not in my head, but like an echoing in my ears. I looked around in confusion, simply finding nothing and giving a shrug, continuing on, but as we did so, the voice only grew louder, it's words more clear.
"MAEVE!" it shouted demandingly. I snapped my head around, and through the thick wall of rain, spotted a familiar face. My jaw dropped and I could feel my eyes begin to water.

"Hazel?" I called out to her, leaving Nathan as I walked to her 13-year-old body. I looked into her eyes and made a slow approach. "Hazel?" I call out again. She steps forward, her long hair flapping in the heavy gusts, and takes my hand, looking up at me with those youthful eyes. "You have to get to the lighthouse, it's the only safe place." she yells over the loud storm. Without question, I nod my head, walking back to Nathan and taking his hand, pulling him along to the lighthouse.

"Are you okay? Who were you talking to!" Nathan asks.

"No one, but i'm taking us to the lighthouse!"

"Why? What's there?!"

"Safety!" We had to yell.

Finally managing to squeeze through the chaos and destruction, we make it to the lighthouse trail. The winds whistled as they cut through the bending trees and the rain slapped against us like mammas bare hand when we acted up. Nathan suddenly stopped me, taking a look back then to me again. "I'm worried, Maeve. Fuck. I've—i've never been this scared before. The whole fucking town is gonna get destroyed! I-I know i've always said I hated this place, but shit, this is where I grew up... Everyone I know lives here, and they could all die..."

"Nathan." I cut him off. "Look at me. We'll be okay, we will survive this, and if they're smart, they'll survive this too. Everything is going to work out, I promise you." Nathan finally nodded his head, smiling to me.

"Hey..." he stopped me before I could turn around. "If we really do survive this... would like to give dating another try?"

I laughed, looking down to the ground and giving it some thought, then finally nodding my head. "Yeah." I say with a cheesy smile. We recommenced up the trail, pushing through the rain and finally we were close to the top, the lighthouse in sight. We make approach, just nearly to the peak of the mountain, but with another strong gust of wind and a strike of lighting, the tip of the lighthouse cracks. All in the blink of an eye, I watch as it comes tumbling down towards us, both frozen like a deer in headlights, not knowing what to do next. As it comes just inches away from us, thinking 'this is the end', I raise my hand from natural instinct and hold my eyes shut, pushing Nathan and he stumbles to the ground, I feel a strong pulse shoot through my arm to my hand, then the sound of cement breaking. Merely seconds later, I open my eyes to find the piece of the lighthouse shattered all around us. I drop my hand and look around, finding Nathan who's just as confused as I am.
"What just happened?!" I ask.

"I don't know, the thing just fuckin' exploded!" he replies. Looking back in thought, I shake it off and pull Nathan to his feet, finally making it to the cliff which oversees all of Arcadia Bay.

We stood completely appalled, our fingers tightly intertwined as the wind and rain continued to slap against us. This was it, this was the end. That tornado would destroy my home, and the people in it. I couldn't bare it, knowing there would be people who would die. I swallowed my own fear and pulled from Nathan's hand. He reached for me but the rain had soaked me and his hand slipped.
"Where're you going? You said this was the only safe place!"

"I know." I answer with an undecided tone. Still, I go ahead, demanding that Nathan stay, but I wasn't surprised when he followed anyways. As we walked down the trail, I saw two familiar faces: Max and Chloe. Relieved they knew where to go for safety, we walked past each other without question, only curious glares.