6

I was as nervous as an antilope walking through a field full of cheetah's. I ran as fast as I could to my home, quietly jumping up the front steps and standing across from the front door, hesitant to reach for the knob, and even when I did, I didn't turn it until at least a minute later.
Finally, I creaked the door open as carefully and slowly as possible, peaking around the hallway before fully entering the home. Once I noticed no one was around, I walked inside and closed the door quietly behind me. As I crept to the living room, I could hear a fumbling coming from upstairs, in what sounded like my room. Brushing off the curiosity, I continued into the living room and found the home phone, scrolling down the contacts until finding my dad's name. A smile formed on my face before I zoomed to the back door, slipping out and dialing the number. A few rings later and he finally answers. I was so relieved to hear that soft voice—despite his masculine appearance, my dad had a rather smooth and gentle voice.
"'yello?" he answers.

"Daddy?" I say with a whisper.

"Maeve?" he chuckles. "What's up baby girl?"

I smiled, almost surprised at how he could always tell the difference between Hazel and I without even seeing us. "Listen, something happened with momma... she hit Hazel and started acting bat-shit crazy. We ran over to the neighbors house so we're fine now but I had to sneak back in to call you—"

"Is she okay? Are you okay? How badly did she hit her?!"

"She's okay, we're both okay... I was wondering if you could come get us? we're over at Mr. Prescott's house with their son."

"I'm already on my way. I'll be there shortly, just be careful." he hung up just then, leaving me alone again. I looked up from the phone back through the glass door to the ominously dark home which seemed to grow larger the longer I stared. I gulped, swallowing my fear and pushed myself to open the sliding glass door, quietly closing it behind me. I flipped my head back to the hallway where the stairs were, keeping a close eye on the steps and my ears sharp. My lips pinched together as I tip-toed, nervous of making any noise, and placed the phone back in its place. As I inched towards the front door, I heard quick and heavy footsteps pounding down the swirling steps. We both froze once our eyes were locked together. She sniffed with wide, terrifying eyes. My mouth gaped open in shock and just as quick as I could react, she began running down the steps after me before I could reach the door, grabbing a handful of the tips of my hair just as I swung the door open.
"HAZEL, WAIT! C'MERE!" she yelled as she yanked me back. I gasped and groaned in both annoyance and anger, snatching my hair away and dashing out, into the yard. She stopped in the doorway, watching me from afar. I stopped and turned back to her, my eyes squinting from the beaming sun, and I watched as she disappeared back into the darkness of the home, slowly closing the door.

A heavy sigh exhaled from my lungs out my nose. I started walking to the prescott's, slamming the heavy door behind me as I stomped inside, Nathan peaking his head around the corner and smiled with relief but the grin soon vanished once he noticed my agitated expression.
"How'd it go?" he asked.

"My dad's coming but my mom caught me... she tried to pull me back inside."

Nathan grew a guilty look on his face as he looked to me. "Are—are you okay?"

"Yeah it's whatever." I glance up to see Hazel sitting on the couch, stress clearly written on her face as her bottom lip began to quiver. "Hazel..." I call out softly, making way past Nathan to her. I cup her in my arms and hold her tight, brushing my fingers against her long hair as she began to whimper.

"It's my fault!" she said muffled into my chest.

"No!" I snapped angrily. "It's no ones fault, idiot. She's just a—a fuckin' psychopath." I push her slightly away and looked her into her familiar eyes. "Seriously, Hazel. Don't try to put this on yourself. You don't deserve that." she sniffed, wiping away her soaked eyes and I suddenly noticed the crack of a smile form on her face before she shoved her head onto my chest and blew her nose all over my shirt. My face crinkled up as she pulled away, laughing uncontrollably at me as I gagged. I laughed some myself before jumping up and running to the kitchen, wiping away the snot with a rag. I could hear hers and Nathan's mischievous snickering from the living room. I scoffed, shaking my head as I walked back to the living room. I gave a playful smack to the back of Hazel's head as I passed behind the couch, but a certain jingling noise caught our attention, everyone falling suddenly silent and turning their heads towards the door just as Mr. and Mrs. Prescott walked in, both awkwardly quiet. They hadn't noticed us sitting in here until they were halfway towards us. They both paused, but Mrs. Prescott smiled, walking to us with open arms, taking me in leaving me surprised at the hospitality despite the fact that my mother ruined her marriage.
"What a pleasant surprise, what're you two doing here?" she asks with genuine kindness but her eyes saying something otherwise.

"Their mom went crazy!" Nathan interrupted. "She hit Hazel and ran them out of the house—you shoulda seen her, she looked like uh—like that chick from The Grudge!"

"Oh my..." Mrs. Prescott frowned, looking to Hazel and I before turning to Mr. Prescott. "Are you alright? Did she hurt you too bad?"

I shook my head. "Mm-mm, we're fine. Our dad is on his way anyways." I lowered my head, reaching my arm out to Hazel as she walked to me, our hands intertwining. Mr. Prescott pinched his chin between his fingers as he stepped forward, avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"Well, hope everything works out. I'm gonna make myself a drink and watch TV upstairs." he says nonchalantly, walking into the kitchen. Mrs. Prescott follows him with her eyes and curls her lip almost disappointedly, then looking back to us.
"You can stay here for the time being—I may not know that woman very well but I can safely say I personally don't see her fit to be a parent. You'll be okay here." she smiles, turning and walking slowly up the stairs, her smooth hand running against the staircase railing as she went up.

I took in a deep breath, letting it out as I plopped onto the couch, sinking into the soft cushions. Now all that was left was waiting for daddy.