Allan pulled the man away from the interior door by his ankles. He put his left foot down onto the man’s right arm, so that the man could feel his boot. “Master Merrick,” he said, more statement than question.

“Who are you?” The man’s voice was nasal. “What do you want?”

“Callum told me all about you, Merrick.”

“Do you want a cut? Is that why you’re here?”

“I don’t want a cut. I want you to stop taking advantage of those boys.”

“Look, friend, I’m not a bad fellow, honestly.”

“Honestly?”

“No. All I’m doing is just trying to keep these children from starving to death. So what if a few baubles from rich folk go missing?”

“But it’s not just baubles from the rich, is it? Those boys steal from anyone they can. Even from those who have a lot less than you.”

Merrick’s head bobbed back and forth, but he didn’t say anything.

“And if you’re not such a bad fellow,” Allan continued, “why do you ask those boys if they have pretty sisters?”

Merrick’s eyes widened.

“If I went upstairs, would I find such a girl in your bed? Tell me, Merrick, do you keep those girls from getting pregnant? Or are you using them to make more poor children? Planning to keep your little kingdom going into old age, are you?”

Merrick opened his mouth to scream.

“Sleep!” Allan cast his sleep spell.

Merrick’s attempt at a scream turned into a yawn. He was out in a moment.

Allan went through the interior door. It led to the main area of the shop. To his right was the shop counter. To his left were four tall cabinets full of odds and ends, from rings to hats. Between the shop counter and the interior wall was a spiral staircase.

Allan climbed the staircase. It let to a short corridor, that in turn led to a hallway. There were two doors on Allan’s left and two on his right. One on the left was partly open. Allan headed for it and pushed the door open all the way.

Sitting up in the bed was a girl. Her hair was brown and curly. She seemed to have light brown eyes and a small upturned nose. She started shaking the instant she saw Allan. “Please, don’t hurt me,” she said in a small voice.

“I don’t mean to hurt you.”

“What do you want?”

“I have what I want. I came for Merrick.”

“Merrick? You killed him?”

“No. I plan to hand him over to the guards.”

“What about me?”

“Open the shop when he does. If anyone comes to buy, sell them what they want. If someone comes to sell something, tell them Merrick does that, and he’ll be back in a few days.”

“Then what?”

“Keep what you make, but don’t steal from Merrick’s till. When the guards come, and they will, tell them your story. What’s your name?”

“My name? Um, Elsie.”

“Elsie, you may have to look out for yourself from now on. If there’s anything I can do to help you, I’ll try to find you and give you that help.”

“Who are you?”

“You may call me Defender. That’s what I do. I defend people like you from men like Merrick. Be well, Elsie.”

Allan stepped back and closed the door. None of the other doors had opened. He decided not to check on what might be behind those doors. If no one came out of them, they don’t matter. Getting Merrick to talk is all that matters now.

He headed back down the spiral staircase. Behind the shop counter he found a roll of twine. He used the twine to bind Merrick’s wrists behind his back, and to bind his ankles. Allan pulled Merrick’s sleeping body out to the alley behind his shop. He stuck himself through Merrick’s bound arms. He drew his rod, tapped it, and flew away.

***

Allan was eating breakfast when Merrick finally awoke. He’d placed the man next to Callum, who was already bound and gagged. Callum had woken up while Allan was cooking his morning meal. Allan was surprised, and somewhat amused, that Callum hadn’t tried to touch Merrick, even though the older man was within his reach.

“Good morning,” Allan said to Merrick.

“Who are you? Where am I?” Merrick looked around, then saw Callum. “Callum?”

“Callum told me all he could,” Allan said. “If you tell me all you can, I might let you have something to eat.”

“What do you want from me?”

“I want to know how you find your boys. I want to know if any of your customers know you sell stolen goods. I want to know how many girls you’ve deflowered, and what happened to them.”

Merrick eyes darted around for a moment. He moved his body so he sat a bit straighter. “Take me to Captain Thomas, and I’ll answer all your questions before him.”

Allan was suspicious of the request as soon as he heard it. The time on the streets with his sister gave taught him that no one ever wanted to go to one of the guards, much less one of the three Captains of the Guard. The only reason someone went to them was if they knew the guard.

Why should Merrick know this Captain Thomas?

Allan put down his plate. He reached out his right arm. He knew there were spells that allowed a mage to put pressure on another person from a short distance away. Damien had listed the spells in one of his books. Before telling how to cast them, Damien had written a warning. “Such spells must be cast carefully,” he cautioned, “because without the proper control, such spells can do damage to the subject.”

Perhaps just seeing that I can cast this spell will be enough. Perhaps all that I need is a demonstration of what I can do.

Allan cast the spell so that Merrick would feel hands on his throat. The instant that Merrick felt them, he gasped audibly. “Magic!” he whispered.

“Yes, magic,” Allan replied. He let go of the spell. “Now, tell me, why should I take you to this Captain Thomas?”

Merrick began to shudder. “No, no reason.”

Allan reached out again. “Shall I increase the pressure on your throat this time?”

“No!”

“Talk!”

“Captain Thomas protects me!”

“Protects you?”

“Yes! If one of my boys gets caught, I tell him. He arranges to get them off with a small fine. I pay him for his help.”

“What else does he do for you?”

“Nothing.”

“Does he help anyone else?”

“Simon, the weapon-smith on the Street of Iron.”

“Why does he help Simon? Does he have a band of boys like you do?”

“Yes.”

“What about the other Captains of the Guard?”

“Captain Mitchell is old and doesn’t care much what happens. I don’t know about Captain William. He was promoted to Captain a month ago.”

“Fine, then. Let me finish my breakfast, and we’ll talk some more.” Allan smiled grimly to Merrick. “Keep telling the truth, and I won’t use anymore magic on you.”

 Merrick nodded. “Good. Good.”