Chapter 5

~Clancy POV~

I didn't exactly corner the market on happy childhoods. I lost my mother at a young age, and lived with just my father for much of my life. But even he was distant and didn't do the best parenting job. So what did I do? I imagined.

I've always been told that I have a wild imagination. This was no exception in my childhood, where I pretended I had an older brother, Connor, alongside me. We did everything together: played, did homework, tried to impress girls, got drunk for the first time, the list goes on. But he wasn't real, just a figment of my untamed imagination that I used as a coping mechanism.

The last time I ever saw Connor was in my junior year, on Halloween. We had decided on whim to go to a party that night that was being thrown by a senior named Mark Eschelman. The two of us, dressed as skeletons, stayed at the party for a bit, failing to really socialize with anyone, opting to stand by the walls and listen to some garage band from our high school. They weren't a bad garage band, though; the two seniors clearly knew what they were doing.

Anyway, after standing awkwardly for a while, we decided to go back home and eat the stockpile of candy we had bought a few days before. When we had collapsed on the couch in the living room, I heard the sound of people coming. Looking out the window, it was the football team, dressed as undead football players, staggering towards our house. Connor had decided to go outside and confront them, but it was clear soon after they began fighting that he was losing. So what did I do? I grabbed my bat and went outside to ward off the football team. Once I had reached the group, I chased them off, trying to give off a somewhat intimidating demeanor. After helping Connor up, we walked back up to the front door. Once we crossed the threshold, he disappeared, and I haven't seen him since.

I've never figured out the real reason why he stopped appearing. Maybe I just grew up, stopped having such a wild imagination. Maybe it was social pressure that drove him away from me. Or maybe it just took that long to reach a point where I didn't need Connor as a security blanket. I had fought back, shown I was strong enough on my own. Bottom line is, I don't know where I'd be had I not imagined Connor's existence. I definitely wouldn't be out here in Trench; he taught me how to fight, so without him I wouldn't have the resolve to leave the city.

I just hope he was enough to escape for good.

****

~Violet Renegade POV~

"Are we there yet?"

I roll my eyes, continuing to focus on the road ahead of me as I navigate the Trans Am down Route Guano.
"Missile, I swear you're still 8 sometimes. No, we're not there yet. We've still got a few miles left."
Missile and Gear have never been past Zone 4 before, since it's the point that Killjoy territory becomes that of other factions. The Sinners, situated closer to the ruins of San Francisco, occupy Zones 9 and 10, which are surprisingly large. The Youngbloods, situated in Zones 5, 6, 7, and 8, are most concentrated near what used to be Fresno and Death Valley, and occupy a larger area than the other factions. We passed into Zone 8 about an hour ago, so we must be getting close.

As Missile settles back into her seat, I turn to Wilson, who is sitting in shotgun.
"So," I begin, "whats the plan once we get there?"
Wilson furrows his eyebrows, thinking. "I suggest we keep guns holstered, but close, and try a peaceful approach. They may be a chaotic faction, but we will be more successful with peace than if we charge in with guns blazing. We can ask to speak to their leader, then, if we aren't chased out, we'll tell them what we found and see if they know what's going on. We'll go from there. Do you think that'd work, Violet Renegade?"
"Yeah, I think so. You can call me Renegade, if it's easier."
"Okay. Seems like we have a plan."

Route Guano has long since disappeared, now becoming a grid of roads and run-down buildings. I notice a few people walking by or driving past, and how their eyes widen at the site of our unusually-painted vehicle.
"I think we've found some Sinners," Wilson comments as we notice the steampunk-inspired clothing the people are wearing.
"Indeed," I respond, and I press my foot on the brakes as we stop in front of building in front of us:

A seemingly abandoned church.

****

~Mona Lisa POV~

"Mona!" A voice exclaims from the hall, and I am pulled out of my thoughts. Closing the journal I'm holding, I stash it back in my desk and turn towards the voice.
"Yes, Sarah?" I ask.
"There are some people here to see you. Not Sinners."
Not Sinners? We haven't had contact with other factions in ages.
"I'm coming," I say, standing from my seat and following Sarah to the sanctuary. When we reach the pulpit, I am met by many unfamiliar faces. When I notice a mix of black denim, camo, neon colors, and masquerade masks, I verbally express my confusion.
"To what do we owe visitation from Killjoys and Youngbloods on a day like today?"
"We recently found a message that concerns all of our factions," a girl with light brown hair and a red mask answers.
"Hold on," I begin. "I think I know what you're talking about." Walking over to a table, I pick up a drawing that Mary did of the message we found.
"Does it look like this?"
"Y-yes," She stutters. "How'd you-"
"Clearly we have a lot to discuss."

****

"So what does all this mean?"
"It means that we gather a group of members from each faction and head to the location. We have no idea where the Banditos currently reside, but my guess is that they found a similar message." I look over to Wilson, answering his question. "Has anyone figured out where it is?"
"I have," Silver says, holding up her Digital Geolocation Apparatus (DGA). "This says that we're heading to...Las Vegas. I can't get an exact reading in terms of any landmarks or buildings, but it's in Las Vegas."
"We're leaving the zones?" Sarah asks incredulously.
"Yep. Should only be a few days' journey at most with our vehicles."
"How soon do we need to leave?" I ask.
"How much time do you need?" Violet wonders. "We have everyone here and we've got supplies to last a few weeks."
"We should be ready by tomorrow morning. I already know Sarah and Brian are coming with me."
"Well I guess that means we're leaving then." Wilson concludes. "Does anyone have any questions?"
"If we're leaving tomorrow, where are we staying for the night?" Missile asks, lightly concerned.
"We have plenty of room here," Sarah responds. "The church is always open."
"Okay, I think that settles everything." I conclude. "Be ready to leave by 9 A.M. tomorrow."

****

{okay, I know my writing sucks right now. Sorry if you're confused or if it seems choppy.

Have a lovely day/night!

-anaenae}