prompt 5 - it's showtime...

Troye and AJ watch Beetlejuice

°°°

Veronica and JD were on a date night, leaving AJ and Troye at home. It was nearing 9, and the parents would most likely not be home for a few hours, so AJ and Troye decided to pop some popcorn, pour some soda, and watch a movie.

"We should watch Beetlejuice!" AJ said excitedly as Troye looked through various DVDs.

"You just wanna watch it because you thought he looked cute when you saw the DVD case," Troye dead-panned, but still taking it from the cabinet.

AJ grew red.

"Do not!" she aruged, shoving her face into a pillow.

"Well, I should've expected it. You're all gothy now."

"Okay, that is a true statement. I'll give you that one, fuckwad."

"Motherfucker."

"Bastard."

"Emo bitch."

"Nerd."

"Shorty."

"Hey!" AJ whacked his arm. It annoyed her to no end that he was 5'8" while she was only 5'1" on a good day.

Troye laughed and stuck at his tongue. He popped the movie and grabbed the remote, throwing the pillow next to him at his sister.

The movie began and for once, the two siblings were quiet, chewing their popcorn, occasional sips from their soda, and the collective gasp when Lydia showed up on-screen, and how she looked identical to their mother when she was young. They even had the exact same voice.

"That's so weird. I wonder who plays her?" AJ asked, taking a big mouthful of popcorn.

"Well, we'll see during the credits."

The rest of the movie passed by well, with AJ intrigued everytime Beetlejuice appeared on TV, further proving Troye's point about why she wanted to watch it. He laughed at her, and she scowled.

The movie finished, and the two were just about to clean up when AJ spoke up.

"I hate to get all sappy and stupid, but I really connect with Lydia," AJ said, rubbing the edge of her old dark purple pajama pants between her thumb and index finger.

"That's cause your a goth bitch," Troye laughed, but quickly stopped himself when AJ gave him a weary, annoyed look.

"Yes, but mostly because I just feel like...nevermind."

"What?"

AJ took a shaky breath. 

"I know Mom and Dad love me, but sometimes I just feel...so alone. I wish I had someone I could talk to me about high school, but neither of them talk about it. I can't ask Aunt Mac or Aunt Duke because they were the popular, pretty girls who probably had no problems, and I have one friend and it's Jessica who I feel like I'm losing."

Troye was at a loss for words. His sister, often one to crack cynical dry wit and snarky comments, never really opened up like this. The tired look in her hooded eyes gave it away too. 

"This is going to sound cliché and stupid, but most perfect and popular people are always hiding something. I would try Aunt Mac. She seems like she's been there."

"Yeah, you're right. Thank you," AJ said.

Troye wrapped his arms around her, and the siblings stayed like that for a long time. Being only two years apart got annoying sometimes, but Troye was a freshman and AJ was a sophomore, so they had a lot of similar struggles. Troye struggled making friends, and struggled with himself. But they had each other, and sometimes, that's all they needed.

"Winona Ryder," AJ said suddenly.

"What?"

"She plays Lydia."

Troye snickered.

"What's so funny?" AJ asked, raising a dark eyebrow.

"Well, there's one thing you don't share with Lydia."

"And what is that?"

"You actually want to fuck Beetlejuice."

"Troye!"

The sweet moment they shared was over, but neither could deny the moments making fun of each after it felt even the more fun.