Chapter One

Burr's P.O.V.

Ever since I was a child, I've always been expected to be the best and come out at the top. I've tried as hard as I can, and I have achieved and became what everyone expected me to become. A prodigy who holds his tongue and keeps his modesty.

I'm calm and collected, unlike some people who are a mess. I don't follow anyone's example. I simply use my knowledge from my past to guide me through life so I can stay on top. Of course, that doesn't always work. 

College is like a minefield. Slip up somewhere, and everything explodes. I slipped up with my choice of acquaintances back in my second year. A boy named Alexander Hamilton came to our college at the beginning of my second year. 

He immediately talked to me and I thought maybe he could be my friend and I could teach him a few things, but he had an interest in those three loud mouth boys from building C. He still talks to me sometimes, but we have a rivalry I guess. Whenever we're speaking to each other, anyone can feel the jealousy or anger radiating off one of us. And a tad bit of annoyance. 

Maybe more than a tad bit.

Speaking of Hamilton, he's late to class today. That's strange since he's usually the first one here. The professor was obviously waiting for him because she continuously looked at the clock and then at his vacant seat. 

Alexander finally came trudging into the classroom. The dark circles under his eyes were getting more visible. His lack of sleep cannot be healthy. I don't care who he thinks he is or what he thinks he can do.

Alexander sat down in his seat next to James Madison and the professor started her lesson.  I found myself drifting off into a daydream. I didn't even notice class was over until James Monroe tapped my shoulder.

"Aaron. Come on. Class is over." He said showing me the time on his watch. I nodded and stood up.

"Thank you for waking me up." I said quietly, picking up my bag and walking out of the classroom with him following.

Monroe and I were roommates, and even though we weren't really friends, we still talked and were friendly to each other. People assumed we were friends. I don't want to let anyone get close to me though. They always end up leaving me.

We walked to our dorm and I pulled out my dorm keys. I notice something white slightly peeking under the door. Someone had slipped something under our door. I looked at Monroe who shrugged. 

"Open the door and see what it is" 

I unlocked the door and opened it. The envelope slipped away a bit because of the breeze from the door. I picked it up and turned it over to see my name in remarkable calligraphy. I once again looked at Monroe who was just as confused.

"Why didn't they just use our dorm mailbox?" Monroe asked.

"Maybe it was specifically addressed to me," I mumbled opening the envelope. I pulled out the peach colored paper and unfolded it. 

It read:

'Dear Aaron Burr,

I watch you. My god that sounds so creepy. Sorry! What I mean is, I watch you in classes and admire you from afar! Not stalk you in a creepy way! You probably want nothing to do with me, because I see the way you push people away.

I don't want to be one of those people. It hurts that I love you, but will never be able to tell you that in person and kiss you and feel you. Because you'd only push me away too. I like to dream that you weren't like that and that you did love me, even though you don't know who I am.

I wish my dreams would become a reality...

Adieu,

Your Secret Admirer'

I reread the letter and then handed the note to Monroe. I watched him scan over the letter. He looked at me and punched my shoulder playfully. "You have a secret lover." He wiggled his eyebrows and grinned.

I blushed and shook my head. "This kid, they're lying. They only want me for money or popularity."

"So I can throw this away?" Monroe asked walking to the trashcan. I nodded and watched him drop the letter and envelope in the trashcan.  

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom." He said walking down the hallway to the bathroom.

I immediately fished the letter out of the trashcan with the envelope and walked to my room. I shut the door and sat down on my bed.

I don't know why but this letter made me feel special and happy.

I haven't felt that way in a long time...

Oh my secret admirer... You have no idea how this makes me feel.