4: (Not) Just friends

ابدأ من البداية

The silver haired boy nodded, but couldn't help the feeling of uselessness spreading in his chest.
Daichi sensed it, so he gave a supportive stroke to his back, as he got his phone in the other hand. The captain took a quick look on it as he opened the group chat of the volleyball team. He wrote down in few short sentences about what they knew and that Asahi is stable for now. A warm feeling appeared in him as in few minutes everyone saw the message.
There wasn't any reply, but it was clear that every single teammate waited for information and didn't go to sleep until they knew if their Ace came out of the operation room.
He glanced on the hour. 2:27 am. The captain wrote another message before putting his phone back in his pocket.
"No training tomorrow morning, everyone needs sleep."

An hour later they were waiting in one of the intensive care hospital rooms for the results and for Asahi. They were allowed to see him for a few minutes when he will be placed there.
First a male nurse stepped in with a doctor and quite few papers. Her long brown hair was in a messy braid, making it even worse as she anxiously played with the end of it. She must have been new, considered her young appearance and that she couldn't maintain the neutral behavior.
- We got the results – she said with slow voice, looking in the eyes of the old woman opposite to her – And I am afraid there wasn't any match.
- I see. And what now?
The young doctor averted her eyes.
- We are waiting for his turn on the list.
The information didn't even have time to sink in when the door opened again and two nurses pushed in a hospital bed.
Nishinoya's stomach twisted in his abdomen. While everyone focused on the almost unrecognizable body hooked up to all sorts of machines and tubes, he just couldn't see his love in a state like that, it made him nauseas. So instead he looked on the family around him.
He saw the light leave the mother's eyes as she watched her motionless son laying there, after they found out she couldn't help in the only way that would matter.
He saw Asahi's brother, his happy and joking brother; break down crying as he held onto his wife.

Nishinoya knew that he can't back out now, not after a few rounds before the bottle landed on Yamaguchi and not even mentioning that he got a boy slammed his mouth on his so fast and hard that their tooth crashed together. Poor boy still mumbled incoherent words while hiding behind Tsukishima.
Whose goddamn idea even was this stupid game?
If he clearly remembered, Aihara-san, the girl's vice captain and ace was the one who brought up to play spin the bottle, and of course Tanaka got hyped up about it instantly.
To both teams biggest surprise even the two captains, Daichi-san and Michimiya-san agreed to it. After all something like this could have been expected since the day the girl's and the boy's volleyball team agreed to have a match with mixed teams and then some kind of celebration that they finished their pre-summer exams.
The libero quickly glanced around on everyone until his eyes met Asahi's.
Nishinoya still remembered the way Tanaka made him admit his crush on the Ace, the question about his eyes. The same eyes that shined down on him, now darker than ever before, in the poorly lit room. Dark eyes should definitely get more credit, the kind of eyes that weren't boring amber like the libero's or weren't blue as the ocean, didn't have the green shade of the late summer's grass, but the ones that are dark, absorbing all of the light. He felt like he could get lost in those eyes, but still it wasn't the thing that made the short boys heart flatter.
Those were just eyes, he was more interested in the small stain of ink in the left corner of his jaw, the one even Asahi didn't knew how landed there but nobody mentioned, probably didn't even noticed it before. Nishinoya observed the heavy bags under his eyes showing how anxious he was because of their exams, so he didn't sleep properly for days. The libero took a minute to inspect Asahi's long hair, uncut for years, which right now framed his face with ruffled waves. Finally Nishinoya had a moment to catch the sight of the way the ace's face became flushed with pink while he averted his eyes.