4: (Not) Just friends

Start from the beginning

It was over 2 am when finally three surgeons showed up. None from the Azumane family could sleep from the fear of losing the youngest brother, except the two kids who with their young age didn't really understand what is going on. Their parents happily accepted Mikoto's offer, so the two little boys spent the night with Nishinoya's similar aged siblings, while his mom took care of them. There won't be a problem, both of them, Yume, the younger, four year old boy, and Tome, with his six years were really lovely and friendly with everyone they met.
One of the surgeons Nishinoya already recognized as Suga's father, he gave a quick glance to his son, who was sleeping curled up to Daichi's side until now.
The doctors went straight to the family. The three volleyball players, and the libero's parent stayed on their part of the ward, everyone felt that this conversation was meant only for the closest relatives.
After some time of talking with emotionless and serious faces, Mrs. Azumane gesticulated in the way of his son's friends.
Nishinoya heard the blood pumping in his ear.
She wasn't crying it is a good sign, obviously, wasn't it?
Dr. Sugawara headed to them, his face was stern, but the exhaustion from the hours in the operating room could have been clearly seen.
Nishinoya felt a salty, metallic taste and only then realized that he bit his lips too hard, little drops of blood left the small wound. His father squeezed the libero's shoulder and then left his hand there as a kind of emotional support.
The surgeon's eyes stayed on the young boy with the same silver hair as he had.
- The patient's mother asked us to inform you too about your friend's status. He is stable for now.
The same relieved sight left all of the boys, who didn't even realized, that they hold their breath until now.
- But there are some complications, the accident your friend encountered caused a traumatic shock. Easily put, he is still looseing blood into his interstitial compartment from his soft tissue injury and the vessel dilatation caused by the trauma only worsens it, which caused a hypovolemic shock in his body. This can lead to a multiorgan failure if we wont be able to stop it. We are trying our best to prevent it and to minimalize his continued blood lost. Unfortunately he is haveing a kidney failure, which unattended would leave to a sepsis because of uremic acid left in his blood. As a treatment we will give him hemodialysis, but the only permanent solutin is a kidney transplant. We already put him on the list, but his best chance is a direct donation. We will test his family members and hope that there is match. Do you have any questions? (A.N.: I am studying medicine so for me those are obvious explanations, but if its hard to understand, please tell me)
- What if there is no match? – The silver haired boy's voice broke mid-sentence.
The doctor's face twitched in an effort to stay professional, but for a moment under the façade of a neutral helper there could have been seen the sympathy and his urge to comfort his only son. Not just that, he knew Asahi, the gentle and somewhat coward boy. The three friends from the volleyball club spent countless sleepovers in Sugawara house. The brunette giant slowly grew more comfortable and in the last year he even started to use their kitchen to bake for his friends. The surgeon and his wife after their bad first impression (he really had a look of a hooligan) started to like him and his good manners were definitely positive impact on their loud son.
- We will do everything we can, but you have to understand...
- Test me too!
A highly pitched, but loud voice interrupted the surgeon's speech, causing everyone to look on the shortest person in the room. Nishinoya.
- Pardon? – Dr. Sugawara looked on the boy uncomprehending the situation, just as everyone else in the ward.
- Just do the test on me too, maybe I am a match. More people better are the chances!
The libero's nails dug in his palm as he clinched his hand in a fist, unsuccessful attempt to control his emotions.
- It is a big surgery, and I am afraid you are underage, so we need your parents consent...
- They will! Right dad?
The man looked startled on his son. They talked about a major surgery, without any benefit for his firstborn, putting him in a risk, but just a few meters away stood a mother with unreadable expression whose child's life could depend on it. It wasn't a decision to make in a few minutes.
- I don't know, we need to talk with your mum...
- Dad, it is not the surgery. Just a test, it is nothing big. If it comes back positive we still could talk about it. But I have to know! I can't let anything bad happen to Asahi-san anymore, I promised him I will always have his back. I would never forgive myself if I wouldn't try it. Just a test, please!
Nishinoya was on the edge of crying again, and he didn't even realize that he was shouting from the feelings rushing against him.
- The test. I think it couldn't be a problem... - his father mumbled.
- Alright, you will have to sign some papers – an old doctor with glasses waved to Mikoto to follow him, and then spoke a little louder to a nurse who was standing near waiting for the family members – Please, take sample of the boy's blood too when you are doing the family.
Daichi and Sugawara looked on each other, and seemingly only with eyes got to a decision, but as soon as the vice-captain opened his mouth his father shook his head.
- Don't even consider. I won't approve you going under knife, and even if I did, I already took a look on it, Azumane-kun has different blood type than you. And you, young man, your caretakers aren't event here.