007: WEIGHT OF THE WORLD

FLORENCE USHERED HER way through the kitchen, passed the two boys who were having too much fun, and to the back door

     FLORENCE USHERED HER way through the kitchen, passed the two boys who were having too much fun, and to the back door. Forcefully throwing it open, she entered the pouring rain of the afternoon, engulfing her as quickly as possible, drenching her from head to foot. She knew that her father wasn't in the household, so where else would he be?

Her instincts led her to the barnyard where she had encountered him hours before, before brushing him off in anger. If Chavez had taught Florence one thing in that very moment just briefly past, it was that she believed in herself all this time and she never knew it.

There have always been good times with her father and there have always been bad times. That's just the way things work, people fight, people cry, and people get over it and heal. This time, it was Florence's responsibly to tend to the wounds.

Florence likes to think of herself as being this fragile but hostile young woman who is strong enough to carry the weight of a household on her shoulders, and she can't do any of that without the belief she has in herself that allows her to push through to the other side. She knows that she will not be capable of anything less than what her father has created if she doesn't take risks and that's exactly what she has been doing over the past week. It was time for a change around these parts, and Florence is ready to give it to them.

What better way to work on roughing up your exterior than being the sheep going into a wolf's den ready for a fight?

"I do hope you understand that I meant everything I have said to you over these past few nights, don't be too humbled." The young woman hissed as she entered the barn to find her father sitting down on a small wooden stool that she built for him when she was five years-old, directly opposite of the cow's hay loft. "You may not care for what I said either, but that doesn't make them any less important to me. Everything I have said has been true, none invalid. I wish for you to allow me to have word in what goes on around here without ending up embarrassed in front of the boys who I take care of."

Florence was half expecting Tunstall to rise and defend his ego, nonetheless, he stayed quiet and let his only child continue on. "It's always brought to my attention when a new recruit is arriving either the very night before or the day of, that's never changed. We decided when this all began that I should be notified the second you decide that he or she is worth fighting for. But that's all I get.

"You cannot continue to act the way you are. I'm the only one you have left, Daddy, and you need to consider my thoughts and ideas. What have we gotten ourselves into? Why are we always bickering and fighting? What has Murphy and his men turned us into? With just the competition, everything has been so hectic." The woman sniffled and scuffed her boots as she walked, "Please, forgive me. I may not regret a single word I said but I still need you. You're my father after all."

"You've always reminded me of your mother, have I ever told you that?" He replies, "She was so caring, thoughtful, and full of love, and she gifted every person she met with it. You have created a life for these boys with very little help from me, she would be so proud of you." Tunstall turns to Florence, "I am very proud of you. Don't you ever be discouraged. I may be hard on you most times but I still wish for you to succeed, and I know that you will no matter what I say or do."

Florence had been mad at her Father for so long now that it was almost hard to remember a single day when in which they never fought at least once. For him to say something this vulnerable meant something personal. This time was unlike any other, everything felt different.

She wanted to be the bigger person. The one to stand up for what she believed in. Along with that she also had the choice to become forgiving. This is what being the bigger person is.

     The man stretched his arms out to his sides, purposing an embrace that he hadn't offered Florence in quite some time. She didn't hesitate to run into his arms and release all the tension between them. "Thank you, Florence. I don't know what I would do without you and you know that too. I am incredibly sorry if I have been harsh on you lately, more than usual, matter of fact." Florence nodded her head up and down slowly still compressed into his chest. "Murphy and his men have got me stirring in my boots. I have no clue as to what I'm going to do."

     "You'll figure it out, Daddy. You always will." Florence spoke, her head still pressed against her Father's chest, tightly gripping ahold of his jacket as if she was worried he'd slip through her fingers.

     "I'll have you accompany Doc into town tomorrow when we go to pick up our newest recruit."

     "Really?" The young woman's eyes glowed with excitement, "Another one? Already? I only spoke with Chavez for the first time today. I'll have to make room."

     The two chuckled for few seconds before breaking apart. "You head on back into the house now." Tunstall genuinely smiled at his daughter, a smile in which Florence hasn't seen in a long time. "Fetch yourself some tea and make yourself comfortable. I'll take care of dinner."

     "Oh please, Father. Even if you were being kind you could never possibly put together a meal." She chuckled. "I got it. Don't worry."

     "Run along now," He smiled as he watched his young daughter grin, wide-eyed and bushy tailed, slip on back to the house through the pouring rain, "I love my little girl."

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Once again, Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians!!

I'm glad that I managed to update this even though it basically feels like a filler chapter ?? At least it still works. I don't know, I'm rambling again.

Hopefully my writers block subsides soon and I can get back to it. I hope y'all have a great day and stuff your tummies with lots of turkey!