Chapter 1 : March

Breathe, Eddie.  He says in his mind for what seems to be the thousandth time that hour.  It's only The Rager.   

He stands looking into his full sized mirror, debating on an outfit change.  Dressed in tight fitted jeans, a grey sweater, white converse, and moderately gelled hair, Eddie waits for Stan to pick him up.  You see, Eddie is Derry's only home schooled boy who hangs at the local diner -The Rager.  This is where he met his bestfriend, Stan. 

Eddie checks his hair one last time before he hears Stan honk his car.  Running down the stairs he bids his mother a quick goodbye before darting out the door. 

"Hey, Eddie." Stan says as he drives away. 

"He- Hey, Stanny." Eddie mumbles.

Stan notices that Eddie is shaking.  He knows Eddie has anxiety, and decides against asking why Eddie is so wound up.  He figures he had a frustrating encounter with his mother while trying to get out the door. His mom is overbearing, after all.

Eddie exhales loudly and reaches to turn on the music. He can feel Stan's pity radiating towards him.  "Radio doesn't work, Bud." 

"Oh. Sorry, Stan."  Eddie looks out the window, facing away from the boy driving him. 

Eddie can't get the thought of seeing Richie Tozier out of his head. He is never not with his skate crew, acting up and trespassing to do a quick ollie off of the victims stair./ 

Stan grabs Eddies hand and smiles, looking at him through the corner of his eye.  "There's nothing to apologize for."  He lets go to return his hand to the wheel. 

Eddie has always felt bad for getting Stan to drive him everywhere.  Sonia Kaspbrak, the evil mother, thinks it is to dangerous to let her 17 year old son drive.  The thought makes Eddie even more anxious, and he almost asks to go home, but knows it's too late when he hears the rolling of the skateboards.