"I was hoping to see Ryder's execution before I left." Rylan added pointedly. Seo sighed.

"We can never thank you enough for securing him. He's a very valuable hostage."

"Hostage, sir?"

Seo scrutinised Rylan, seeming to weigh his good qualities. Coming to a favourable conclusion, he leant closer to the young captain – lowering his voice.

"This is top secret," he stipulated.

"Understood, sir."

"The demon queen wants to make terms."

"Terms? To end the war?"

Seo nodded.

"One of her terms is the warlock. She wants him." Seo explained. Rylan frowned.

"With respect, sir. Ryder's dangerous."

"Indeed, we can't risk him returning to her side with his powers. But... if we could strip him of them permanently. The queen can have him and he'll be no threat to us."

"Peace, is it really possible?"

"Reports tell us that the imps have defected."

Rylan's eyes flashed, that was exactly what Ryder had predicted would happen. The battle of Solemn had been a success in all its objectives. "Tensions between vampires and demons within her ranks have splintered her forces."

"Then why not take the opportunity to crush her?" Rylan questioned. 

"Because we've lost Hannah, our vengeful angel. We've lost Phelan, our hybrid killing machine. Because we've lost our greatest mind, in the doctor. Because our sick, young and elderly outnumber our strong." The stress was evident in the General's tired eyes. "If we keep fighting – this war doesn't end until one side is completely wiped out. It will go on and on. Those people in the demon's camps don't have that long. They need saving now. This is their best chance."

Rylan nodded.

"How can I help?"

"Witches. If we're going to strip Ryder of his powers we need the witches to crack a spell for it." Seo beckoned Rylan closer. "The werewolf keeper spoke of a witch, a little English girl called Olivia Hart. She'd only be a child but Hannah was adamant that this child was powerful. I've been searching for her for some time and now I have a lead. There's a German hospital that I want you to look into on your way to Amsterdam."

Rylan saluted.

"Sir."

*

                      "Ryder's whore!"

Chloe looked up at the jeering catcall. The speaker, a woman, handed Chloe her food tray through the grate. Struggling to her feet, Chloe accepted the tray without comment. She set it down on the ground, sitting cross-legged in front of it, and paused. The woman was watching her, eyes bright with cruel glee. Chloe's stomach turned over as she dubiously sniffed the food. The woman's gaze was unblinking and she was shaking with excitement.

Face scrunching in disgust, Chloe shoved the tray away from her. The woman huffed in disappointment. "Eat it!" She snapped. Chloe's eyes flashed angrily.

"No."

The woman hit the bars angrily.

"Whore!"

Too tired to make the effort of standing once more, Chloe flipped her off instead.

"Poppy," Frederick barked, entering the room. "Get out of here."

Poppy mumbled 'salute' as she scurried quickly out. Frederick had been guarding Chloe pretty constantly since she'd been attacked by the smoke-demon. His daylight armour creaked as he approached the prison bars and Chloe was surprised to see a set of keys in his grip.

"Is it time for my trial?" She asked anxiously as he turned the key in the lock. Frederick shook his head.

"You're being moved to a different location." He stood back to allow her room to step out of her cell. Chloe wasn't capable of doing anything fast. Her joints clicked as she rose to her feet and her stomach growled painfully.

                  Frederick brought Chloe to Lucjan's complex. Vampires stood guard outside every door, their daylight armour glinting in the sunshine.

"You can walk around these rooms. But try to leave the complex and you'll be put back in your cell." Frederick warned. Chloe gawped at her surroundings. The rooms were large and finely decorated. She looked down sheepishly at the filthy footprints she was leaving on the cream carpets.

"Why?" Chloe questioned. Why was she suddenly receiving better treatment?

"Captain Dubiki's orders, you're his prisoner now. The state handed you over to him this morning."

Chloe considered this. Lucjan was helping her. Perhaps he'd even be able to save her from the death sentence. Her heart swelled with gratitude and hope.

"Where is he?"

"Out." Frederick replied, not offering her anymore details. "Would you like to eat first or wash." He hoped that she'd say wash – she smelt awful. But Chloe's stomach growled in response for her. "Food it is then," he spoke – his tone resigned. Chloe's eyes brightened at the idea of food.

                          Meanwhile, in the Aries quarter - Crystal was scanning a critical eye over Lewis North – her handcuffed patient.

"He's a survivor this one," she commented. His injuries were severe and had been largely untended throughout the march from Solemn. He'd been handed over to her for treatment with a raging fever and pus leaking from a gash in his side.

"Why are we treating him?" Karolina hissed.

"Because the higher ups want to question him, in case he can tell them anything useful about Ryder and his plans."

"Ok, so why aren't we telling them that he's conscious then?"

The doctors gaze shot to the door, her ears pricked for any sign of movement behind it. 

"Because I want to ask him about Chloe," she whispered back. 

Karolina bit her lip. What they were doing could get them both into serious trouble but Karolina understood. Word had leaked out about the traitors identities. Hearing their friend referred to as 'Ryder's whore' had startled them both.

"Ryder," Lewis moaned in his sleep. His hand reached up, grasping at the empty air. "Ryder!"

A/N: I've gone back to chapter 24 and just added a couple of lines to make it clearer that Romina is the one that conjured the thing that attacked Chloe. Just in case that wasn't clear. Are there any other bits that you think I could tweak? Thank you for any comments =)