Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Escape

Marinette could feel all the muscles in her body simultaneously freeze, and she felt her heart swell with joy as her eyes scanned every inch of Chat's body. Still perched on the windowsill, rain sliding down his suit, Chat Noir made very intense eye contact with the former barista, bringing his hand up to place a quiet finger across his lips.

Are you seriously signaling for me to be quiet? Marinette thought pointedly in disbelief, rolling her eyes. I'm clearly gagged and I'm not stupid enough to alert that bastard to your presence--

Suddenly another bolt of lightning crashed outside of the abandoned apartment complex, and with the thunder that followed, the sound of glass shattering echoed in the musty second floor. Startled, Marinette's crystal blue eyes widened significantly as she saw Chat punch a hole through the window pane, completely demolishing the pane as it exploded from the power of Chat's fist. Shards of glass shot everywhere, and in the commotion, a single shard flew past Marinette and grazed her cheek.

Braving the broken window pane, Chat pushed himself through the opening and quickly dropped to the floor, scooping Marinette into his arms and hastily turning to make his exit. However, a shot blasted through the air, the bullet nearly lodging itself inside Chat's head; it was Jean Paul.

"Hey!" he shouted angrily, a small pistol in hand. He was positioned on the fourth step of the stairs, his legs bent underneath him, right arm outstretched as smoke slowly wafted from the barrel of his handgun. Panting for breath, Jean Paul shouted again, as Chat regained his senses and bounded out the window, "You can't escape from me! I'll have both of your heads even if it's the last thing I fucking do!"

All this time Marinette was cradled into the strong arms of Chat Noir as he leaped from the window to the neighboring building, ducking behind a large concrete chimney shaft, where he set her down.

He went to work immediately. First, using the claws that were attached to his suit, he ripped through the ropes binding her feet, and with his acquired experience, he was easily able to pick the lock of her handcuffs using a bobby pin he had kept tucked in the hair behind his ear. And finally, he yanked off the gag that was preventing the baker's daughter to speak, and not a split second later was he wildly kissing her.

"Mon Chaton," she whispered breathily, in between each steamy kiss, "It's so cheesy but I knew you'd come for me. I never had a single doubt." Chat grinned at this and pulled her body closer as she entangled her fingers in his thick yet stylishly tangled blond tresses.

"Of course you didn't," he responded, smirking. He ran his lips up from her lips, dragging them across her cheek before he placed another kiss at her temple. "I care about you, Mari. I'd never let you get away from me."

She giggled, despite the freezing rain sliding down her back. "What's with the sudden affection?"

Marinette could feel his muscles tense and his arms tighten around her. His green eyes dilated slightly and he gave a small sigh, offering, "I just... I just never thought that I'd actually never find someone like you."

And suddenly he leapt, wind rushing against them as Chat's feet danced the stars. Marinette felt like nothing could ever stop her; she felt so alive. Not just because she was narrowly saved from death, but because of the sincerity in Chat's eyes, and the way his fingers gripped her body.

She could feel herself unintentionally sigh into his neck, warm breath brushing onto his exposed skin. "J'adore, mon chat. Truly."

Chat landed onto the roof and winced slightly as his ankle rolled a bit. Marinette jolted, having clearly felt the sudden and uneven distribution of weight.

Casting the assassin a worried look, Marinette's fingers dug into Chat's shoulders tightly. He laughed at her bewildered and worried expression.

"I guess love has made me pretty soft, huh?" he smiled, lips curling into a toothy grin. The couple blinked hard at one another, the rain coming down in intense sheets of water, and Marinette huffed.

"This is seriously not the time to be cheesy. There is a literal murderer after us," she admonished. "If you're okay, we need to go and find somewhere safe. I doubt Jean Paul is going to be very nice to either of us when he finds us again."

Chat readjusts his grip on the tiny bluenette wrapped around him, squinting to examine their surroundings. They seemed to be on an apartment building, one with a flat rooftop only about 3 stories high. "Find us again?" he snorted, after giving her words a moment of thought. "Why do you think that?"

Marinette wiggled in his grasp. Seriously, she loved the man but his lax attitude did not do much for her erratically beating heart and the terrible adrenaline she was experiencing. She felt so alive that it hurt. She even almost forget the cut on her cheek– it was starting to burn deliciously.

"Put me down, my love. We can talk about this when we're safe and out of this downpour," she finally acquiesced. Chat complied immediately, gently setting the baker's daughter on her feet, hands lingering on her waist.

"My love," he murmured, green eyes glittering brilliantly with a crash of lightning that struck a little ways off, "You called me 'my love'. I don't think you've ever said that to me before."

Marinette blushed furiously, especially so with the cold rain pelting her back. "Oh my god, we're being targeted by an assassin and that's what you fixate on? Let's go," she tugged his hand and pointed to a little door at the corner of the rooftop, where people could go back down into the building from.

Chat simply followed her dumbly as the woman of his dreams hurriedly tugged them to the door that would hopefully guarantee their safety. His gloved hand in hers, with the angry sky rumbling above and the wind whipping his face, Chat could only hope that they would both make it out okay. He swore, looking at her yank the door open and pull them inside to a dimly lit (and most importantly dry) passageway, that he would do anything in his power to protect the woman he loved.

                          << >>

wow, everyone! it's been a while. i'll be finishing up the story soon. thank you so much for supporting my writing. i'm a little embarrassed to say, but i didn't update in so long because i forgot the account's login.

please continue to follow along as i finally wrap this up! -pluto (@-plutope-)