Chapter 1

Because I'm so much younger than my brothers they won't let me do anything! Darry makes me go to school with pony, but I don't mind that really. I'm good at school like Pony but not an English like him, I'm great at math & Health, I'm in eighth grade at the middle school, even though I'm only 12. I guess Pony and I have that in common, he's at the high school because he's smart, even though he's 14. Is because Pony is fast and has a good build, ( his word not mine) Dairy lets him go to the movies after school or walk home. But I'm not fast. (I can hardly walk without tripping over my own feet) I'm also not quite as lean as my big brother. Soda says it's because I'm young and haven't burned off my baby fat yet. I'm not fat, but by no means do I have a flat stomach. But I'm tall, 5 7 and super strong like Darry, and I can hold my own in a fight, but Darry still won't let me walk home. ( the Middle School's only a block further home from the high school) he makes me wait for him and soda to get off work and pick me up from the school, so I don't get jumped.

I don't quite understand the problems my brothers have with the soc's , in middle school no one really cares.

I only got jumped once but I don't quite understand the problems my brothers have with the soc's, in middle school no one really cares. I only ever got jumped once, they pulled out a knife and made a big cut on my shoulder. It scared the gang so bad that I can never walk alone past 5 p.m. I got over it pretty fast though. The big scar across my outer shoulder makes me look tuff.

I don't look very tough though, I have golden hair like Soda but it's straight as a board no matter what I do with it, but it's thick and soft so I don't mind. My eyes are a mixture of Pony and Darry is giving me a blue gray combo. Dad always said they were a color all my own. ( God, I miss him)

A blast of a car horn pulls me out of my daydream. It's our Ford, and soda's driving ( that explains the car horn) I run up to the driver's window and stick my head in "can I drive please please please" I beg. "No," Soda chuckled. "Do you know what the cops would do if they saw a little bugger like you at the wheel?" He said as he ruffled my hair. I took a couple steps back from the truck. " I don't know..." I said with a devilish grin. " I think they'll probably..." I pause for dramatic effect and threw my backpack through the open window on to the back seat. "Flip out" I laughed as I did a cartwheel to the truck. I wanted to do a backflip, but even after Dairy to the class and spend the whole summer teaching the gang acrobatics, all I could do is cartwheel. " Now that was cute and all but we got to get home, I don't want Ponyboy coming home to an empty house." Darry said sternly. " yeah yeah  I know" I replied grumpily as I got into the back seat of the car, and sped off towards home. ( soda always did drive fast)