1

Bucky's hand reaches for his squad automatic, ready to go on the mission, but is cut off when a firm hand wraps around his forearm. His blue eyes lift to the man holding onto him. A million-dollar watch is wrapped around his wrist connecting to the hand that encases Bucky's wrist, and designer shades cover his eyes from his view.

Bucky's eyes sharpen in an icy glare. Tony lets go of his arm and raises his brow.

"Not so fast there, Buddy."

"It's Bucky," he snaps coldly.

Tony rolls his eyes and waves his hand. The wrist watch catches the light from the ceiling. "Right. Bucky, you're sitting this one out."

His brow furrows. Bucky's eyes flicker to Steve's, who is standing behind the billionaire. Steve avoids his gaze.

"Why?" Bucky asks, confusion morphing into irritation. He's gone on missions before, why is this one any different? His fellow Avengers could use his help. He is strong and a good fighter, after all.

Steve steps forward. He finally meets his childhood friend's eyes. "Because the mission's in Syria at a HYDRA base."

Bucky flinches at the name of the organization that brought ruin to his life. His fists clench at his sides, his mind burning from painful memories flashing before his eyes. Through his teeth, he says, "I'm going."

Anger courses through his veins. Suddenly, all he wants is to see is every agent of HYDRA bleeding out by his hands. He wants them to suffer—he wants revenge. They took everything away from him, and now he has a chance to get somewhat even.

A hand on Bucky's shoulder brings him out of his red trance and his head snaps to the right. Steve gives his shoulder a soft squeeze. A small sad smile plays on his lips.

"I know you want to go, Buck," Steve murmurs. "But it's too dangerous. They could know your trigger words."

Bucky deflates. Every thought of him joining the mission, even if it meant he would have to secretly, is effaced.

His trigger words.

All it takes is ten words, and Bucky Barnes is gone. The Winter Soldier takes over and kills and kills and kills. There's almost nothing that could stand in his path of destruction when Bucky is under the hypnosis after the Russian words are spoken.

Tony crosses his arms. "Anyways, we won't be back for a while, so you've got most of the tower to yourself. Don't throw any parties or invite any ladies over, okay?" He winks.

Steve shakes his head.

"What?" Tony asks, throwing his hands up. "Take a joke, grandpa."

Tony and Steve bicker back and forth for a few seconds before Steve decides that arguing with the immature man isn't productive. The super soldier runs a hand down his face and sets his hands on his hips.

"I'll keep you updated," Steve tells Bucky.

Bucky glances between the two Avengers. He knows that it's best if he doesn't go with them on this one, but he wants to. It's like a fire was ignited and all he wants to do is burn HYDRA to the ground himself.

Defeated, Bucky says, "I want to help."

Tony immediately scoffs, "We just went over—"

"I know I can't come," he cuts the man off sharply. His tone softens slightly when he turns to Steve. "But isn't there anything I could do from here?"

"We've already got Maria looking over our shoulders the whole time, we're good," Tony replies.

Steve nods reluctantly. "He's right. We've got everything covered from the air to the border to the security."

Bucky sighs. Steve smiles sadly.

"Hey, you need the break, anyway. Get some rest, train, refuel—you'll come on our next mission," Steve reassures his friend.

Bucky sees through his words of comfort and knows that he just doesn't want him to feel bad about doing nothing for who knows how long. He's going to be stuck in a virtually empty building in the middle of the city with almost no one except for an AI to talk to. Not that he talks to many people, anyway.

Tony's watch beeps. He holds up his wrist in front of him as a hologram emits from the piece of jewelry. No matter how many times Bucky has seen the new advancements in technology he missed from being in HYDRA's hands, he could never stop being amazed by it. The hologram shows a screen of sorts with words. It's gone as soon as it appears, and Bucky didn't have the time to read what was on the screen before Tony swipes it away.

"The others are waiting on us." He steps passed Steve and Bucky and exits the room. Bucky watches him leave with a scowl on his face. As soon as he's gone, the two hear Tony call from the hall, "Come on, Cap!"

Steve purses his lips. He glances at Bucky.

"You'll be alright alone?"

"Go," Bucky says, pushing Steve slightly in the chest. "Save the world and shit. I'll be fine."

Steve's gaze lingers on his friend. Bucky raises his brow.

With one last lingering look, Steve exits the room after Tony. Bucky doesn't watch him leave.