We're Friends, Right?

Start from the beginning

“That’s it?” Hallie leaned forward.

“Then I left for work,” I shrugged, standing up, shoving the stool back into the corner. I closed my eyes, running my hands through my hair as I paced around the store. The girls watched silently, knowing better than to speak up. My eyes trailed across the street, connecting on the market doors.

I could see through the glass that Logan was assisting a customer, who from the looks of it, wasn’t happy.  I looked back to the girls, hesitating. They stared forward, watching me. “I’ll be right back.”

“Maisie, if you’re going to talk to that Logan kid—” Violet mumbled.

“He’s my friend,” I paused, “He didn’t deserve how I talked to him.”

“You’re going to end up as bad as your mother!” Violet shouted. I spun on my heels, stomping back to stand before her. She clasped her hand over her open mouth, gasping. “Maisie, I am so—”

“Shut up.” I growled, standing in front of her. “How dare you?”

“Maisie, why don’t we go out—?” Hallie hopped off the counter, grabbing my arm. She tugged me toward the front door.

“No!” I shouted, shaking my arm free, charging at Violet. She screamed, as high pitched as possible, covering her face.

“Maisie!” She begged, “Maisie, I’m—”

“I said shut up!

She uncovered her face slowly, her arms extending in front of her to grip my shoulder. She held me away at arm’s length, as her eyes widened. I felt someone grab my waist, yanking me into the air. From the angle they were holding me at, it was impossible to see the face. I knew, judging by my weight, it wasn’t Hallie who was lifting me. I kicked, shouting as I felt my back press into someone’s chest. I was carried outside, the bells jingling as the door swung open.

As soon as we were completely outside, and the door closed behind us, my feet were returned to the ground. Two hands shoved my back, causing me to stumble forward slightly. I spun around, expecting to want to attack Violet’s hero. Instead, I froze, watching Logan stand wide-eyed before me.

“Hey,” He panted, “Easy.”

“Why did you—?”

“We heard Violet’s screams from across the street. Imagine my surprise when I look out the front window and see you practically on top of your best friend.”

“For the record,” I crossed my arms defensively, “I was defending you.”

“Oh?” He chuckled, and I narrowed my eyes in his direction.

“I was just about to come apologize, but she said—”

“Maisie, just stop talking for a minute.” He held up his hand, shaking his head. “God.”

I frowned, looking at my feet. “Let me drive you home,” He whispered, taking my hand in his. I refused to look up, instead shaking my head slightly.

“Oh, come on,” He nudged against me, “We’re friends, right?”

“I was such a bitch to you,” I whispered, a tear dripping down onto the concrete sidewalk. As the two connected, the mere drop seemed so small, resembling only a raindrop. This tear, however, held so much more emotion.

“It’s fine,” He assured me, squeezing my hand, “Come on, let me drive you.”

“I’m working, and—”

He laughed, “Look at me.”

I shook my head, focusing on the teardrop below me. He laughed again, tilting my chin up with his pointer finger. “Look at me.”

My watery eyes met his, and he shook his head slightly. “I don’t think working is a good idea right now.” He reminded me, opening his arms. “Come here.”

I stepped forward into them, sighing contently as they closed around me. I felt his warm breath on my ear as he leaned in. “Maisie, let me bring you home, okay?”

I nodded, my arms clinging to him as I sobbed. I hated crying in front of people, I usually felt so weak and vulnerable. In Logan’s arms, however, I didn’t. I felt safety, warmth, and comfort, and that was so rare to me, that I nodded, silently giving him permission to drive me home.

“Let me go talk to the girls, okay? Why don’t you just sit here?”

I leaned against the window, sliding down to the ground, pulling my knees to my chest as I cried. “I need to talk to Violet.”

“Not tonight, you don’t.” Logan whispered, setting his hand on my shoulder. “Stay right here, okay?”

I nodded, mumbling inaudible words, as I attempted to thank him. I heard the jingle of the bells, as I pictured Hallie holding Violet as she sobbed. She didn’t mean what she had said, although it was true. I shouldn’t be going home with Logan when I was dating someone else. It would have been different if he was only a friend, but I had admitted to them earlier that I felt something with Logan; something I didn’t feel with Jack. I pulled my knees closer to my chest, shaking in the late-night breeze.

“Let’s get you home,” Logan assured me, helping me to my feet moments later.

“How is she?”

“She’ll be fine.” He promised, wrapping his arm around my shoulder, holding me against his chest. I shivered against him, wiping my eyes. I looked up slowly when we reached his car, parked neatly in a parallel parking space in front of the market. He blinked, chuckling. “Someone was wearing a lot of makeup tonight.”

“Oh, God.” I mumbled, wiping quickly at my cheeks.

“It’s okay, you don’t have to look awesome to be beautiful.”

“So you’re saying I look awful?” I laughed a little, and he grinned back.

 “There’s that smile.”

I felt my face heating up as I climbed into the passenger seat, angling the air conditioning vents away from me.  He climbed in beside me, adjusting his mirror. “What about work?” I questioned, “Your work?”

“I told them I’d come back. I just have to get you home first, all right?”

“I don’t really want to go home, though,” I frowned.

“Do you want me to drive you to your boyfriend’s? I’m sure you could give me directions or something.” He pulled the seatbelt across him, earning a click as it locked into place. This sentence made my heart skip a beat. I really didn’t want to go there either, but I appreciated Logan’s efforts. He was a sweetheart and that really meant a lot.

“I look like a mess.” I shook my head.

“You’re fine,” Logan rolled his eyes. He switched the car into drive, about to ease his foot off the brake. “He’s your boyfriend. It shouldn’t matter.”

“My brother’s his roommate.” I sniffled, “And we’re fighting too.”

“Oh,” Logan sighed, putting the car back into park. “You could stay at my place?”

“What about your parents?”

“They’re probably asleep like they were last time you were over.”

I blinked, realizing that I had been sitting almost naked on his bedroom floor drinking his father’s wine, when he had been sleeping down the hall. That thought hadn’t crossed my mind until now, and I felt my face heating up at that.

“I don’t want to impose.”

“I’m offering. How is that imposing?”

“You can’t really just leave me here.” I mumbled.

“I could.” He joked, nudging his shoulder against me, “Come on,”

“I can stay at Hallie’s.” I suggested.

“Maisie,” He switched the car back into drive, this time letting go of the brake fully. The car moved forward, as he switched on the turn signal, filling the silent air with a steady rhythm, “I’m bringing you to my house.”

“Okay,” I gave in, slumping against the door. I closed my eyes, sniffling the rest of the ride there.