Jade winced slightly, finally looking Cat in the eye. "I... also locked my phone in my car."

Cat unfolded her arms, relaxing her shoulders a little.

"I didn't think you'd show up."

"Did you really think I would let you down?" Jade smiled coyly.

"Yeah, kinda." Cat answered flatly. Jade's expression hardened for a moment.

"Wow. Don't hold back babe. Tell me how you really feel." She scoffed.

There was a moment of tense silence, both girls staring each other down. Cat's expression softened first.

"So... your keys huh? That was... that was kind of a dumb thing to do."

The corners of Jade's mouth threatened to give away a smile so she bowed her head, rubbing the back of her neck with her hand.

"Yeah. I was kinda distracted." She looked at Cat. "I'm sorry."

Cat reached out and tugged Jade forward by her jacket and wrapped her in a hug. She hid her face in the crook of Jade's neck and felt her girlfriends arms wrap around her shoulders.

"It's fine. You can just make it up to me." Cat whispered against her girlfriends skin, earning a shiver from the taller girl.

"Oh really? What did you have in mind." Cat pulled back to look at Jade, who was smiling softly back at her, lightly stroking the back of Cat's neck.

Cat silently took Jade's hand, leading her to the other side of the room, where furniture had been pushed aside to create a makeshift dancefloor. Just then, the opening notes of a slow song filled the room.

Jade laughed. "If you wanted to dance you could have just asked." She said, putting her arms around Cat's waist and swaying gently with her.

"I think I just did." Cat whispered, resting her head against Jade's shoulder.

They moved in slow circles for a few moments, quietly reveling in each others touch. After a minute, Cat felt Jade tense up a little. Cat lifted her head and placed a light kiss on Jade's temple, running a hand through her hair.

"You okay?"

Jade pulled back to look at her, a troubled expression on her face. She seemed to spend a moment choosing her words.

"Can I ask you something?" She finally said. Cat nodded. Again Jade seemed to have trouble finding her words. Cat traced the line of Jade's jaw with her thumb, patiently waiting for her to collect her thoughts.

"Why are you with me?" She said, her voice trembling a little.

Cat's jaw dropped in surprise at this question. She looked up at her girlfriend, frowning.

"Vega said something a while back that's been bothering me." Jade continued, looking down at the floor sadly.

"I'm not a good person, Cat. I treated Beck like crap when we were together. Sometimes he deserved it, but sometimes he didn't. You had a front row seat for a lot of my bullshit and yet you..." She trailed off, still not meeting Cat's gaze.

"You are not a bad person, Jade." Cat sighed.

"Okay, maybe not. But..." Jade looked up, misty eyed.
"You are just so unbelievably, disgustingly perfect. Everyone watching right now is asking the same question. Why? Why the hell would you choose me?"

Cat thought for a moment, trying to push down the twinge of guilt she felt for the things she said to Tori earlier.

"Because I've seen the best and worst of you. I know you better than anyone, even Beck. You're different with me too, and people think I'm too naive to notice."

Cat cupped Jade's cheek, forcing her to make eye contact.

"You and Beck didn't work out because he wanted to turn you into a good person. But that's just it. The good is already there."

Cat smiled earnestly. "You're just stubborn. And what the people watching don't know is I'm the only one who can handle it."

Jade couldn't help but chuckle despite herself. She shook her head, blinking back the tears that threatened to spill over.

"Babe, I've probably made you cry like a thousand times at least. You're a little sensitive." Jade said, smiling softly.

Cat crossed her arms, pouting. This earned another laugh from Jade and she pulled Cat into a tight hug. Cat gently wiped the last stray tears from Jade's face before placing her hands on the back of Jade's neck.

"I don't care what the people watching are saying." She whispered, a mischievous glint in her eye.
"They won't stop me from doing this." She drew Jade in, pressing a soft kiss to her neck, then her jaw. She continued kissing every part of her girlfriends face carefully before finally pressing their lips together.

She pulled back after a brief moment, but leaned their foreheads together. The two found themselves swaying to the music once more and Jade grinned.

"Feel better?" Cat asked. Jade nodded.
"Good. Anything else you wanted to say?"

Jade thought for a moment before shaking her head resolutely.
"Maybe later. It's a party. We should be having fun."

"I agree." Cat said with a wink, slipping out of Jade's arms and tugging her into the kitchen, deeper into the crowds of partygoers.