He gave her puzzled look,and she realized she still hadn't managed to say anything in response."Oh,hi,my name is Miley,nice to meet you," she said quickly,her words almost running together.

He grinned. "Same here.Just sorry we had to meet under these circumstances."

"Under these?" For a second,Miley was confused. "Oh,right!You mean in summer school!"

Jessica,the surfer with multicolored hair,had nabbed the desk in front of Talen.

Now she turned around and gave Miley an amused glance. "Exactly.Here in summer school.Where we don't want to be," she said in a slow,careful voice,as if explaining done to a child.

Miley blushed.Jessica an Australian accent just like Talen,but somehow her voice didn't sound warm or charming or endearing at all.

"Well,why are you?" She blurted out.Jessica lifted one cool eyebrow,and Miley felt even more flustered. "I mean,
the rest of us all have to make up some assignment from English class,but you don't even go to this school."

"Dude,we've been,like,chasing waves around the world for six months!" Stefan leaned over from his spot on the other side of Talen. "It's,like,seriously hard to study."

"The organizers try to find ways to keep us hitting the books and to help us make up work," Talen added. "So here we are."

"Of course,it's completely boring," Jessica chimed in.She twirled one long lock of hair-----a lime-green section,Miley noticed------between her fingers.
"But that's the price we have to pay for being on the professional surfing circuit,right,Talen?"

"Um,yeah," he said not looking at her. "Right."
"Everyone always thinks that being a pro surfer is so exciting," Jessica confided to Miley. "Just because we travel the world,and we're on TV all the time,and people want our autographs,and magazines beg us to do photo shoots.But you know,being a celebrity is actually very hard work."

"Oh really," Miley said,hiding a smile.If only Jessica knew that she was lectures Hannah Montana about the ups and downs of celebrity life! "I guess I never thought of that.How hard it is,I mean."

"Yes,it's not quite as glamorous as it looks to outsiders," she went on.From her superior tone of voice,Miley knew exactly what Jessica means by 'outsiders.' She meant 'people who aren't famous.' She meant 'people who don't count.' She meant 'people like you.'

Miley no longer felt any urge to smile. "Well,it's too bad you have to be stuck in a classroom when you could be surfing," she said as politely as she could.

Talen stretched his legs out I to the aisle. "Oh I don't know about that," he said,smiling at her. "Things could be a lot worse."

Miley looked at Talen uncertainly.Was he actually flirting with her?

Out of the corner of her eye,Miley saw Jessica turn around to face the front of my room,clearly disgruntled.Talen saw it too,and gave Miley a conspiratorial wink.

He was!He was flirting with her!

She secretly moved her left hand down and gave her leg a pinch.

Ouch.Yep,she was awake.
"Yeah," she said,smiling back. "Things could definitely be worse."

"What do I like to do more than anything in the world?" Dan Barton slowly repeated the question,which had been posed by Mr. Dickson in a futile attempt to start a lively class discussion-----or any class discussion.

Mr. Dickson had begun the class by informing them that their daily assignment would be to write in a journal about a subject that was important to them.As the day went on,they would be revising their entries which they would turn in at the end of the session to be graded.