Actual story

Between the primary spaces there are places that are neither here nor there, simultaneously existing within both and nowhere, these being the secondary spaces. To stumble upon a secondary space truly was no easy feat, for these are hidden in the most inconspicuous of locations within the primary spaces - though of course were accessed with ease from the half space - and was made even harder still as only those with just the right countenance of spirit to have these spaces open up to them. There may be more than one entrance to a secondary space, with both wildly different locational and time-related distances from one another. A secondary space is rarely inhabited, occupants not coming naturally but would have to give up their place within their primary space in order to live within a timeless secondary space, sacrificing the life they had for a sense of immortality. Visitors, however, were a frequent presence within once they were granted access to what could be considered a world within a world for a short period of time. Time, however, did not exist within a secondary space, mere seconds passing in the primary space the visitor came from between them entering and exiting the secondary space.

One such space opened into the rather homely walls of a tavern that only became available to the primary spaces at the beginning of the evening and remained accessible until the last person left, a fickle space this was indeed. As rare as it may be, this space did hold occupants, a charming darker skinned elderly woman with a wholly grandmotherly vibe to her who went by the name of Ms. Agatha Alderford, never married and damned proud of it, and a significantly younger chap, who couldn't be much older than eighteen at most, with mesmerising emerald eyes that distracted from the jagged scar that ran from his jaw to the corner of his mouth who called himself Aiden Grimmelken. The two of them worked happily to keep the visitors of the tavern, of which thankfully seemed to never be capable of running out of supplies – one of the wonders of a secondary space – happy and well fed during their stay.

The visitors of this specific space were very particular indeed, for each of them shared one very certain trait among them. Each and every one of them in one way or another dabbled in science in such a way that their pursuits would be deemed 'wholly mad' by the general public, people who simply couldn't comprehend the wondrous work that each and every one of them had dedicated their lives to. Of course much the same could be said about those who lived within the space, after all, Agatha certainly had not developed her own personal kinds of alcohol combinations overnight, especially considering she had unique something to suit each visitor's personal taste, and Aiden had been tinkering with robotics for as long as he could remember, the result of this meant there were several clockwork creatures decorating the building though there wasn't much these creatures could do, though neither of these could hardly hold a candle to the works of the visitors.

Like clockwork, the first of the regular visitors burst through the door, his presence being known with his loud exclamation of,

"God damn the impertinence of the man! Even now the puritanical fool breaths down my neck!"

On first glance, the man appeared almost angelic, his soft looking blond hair cropped oh so neat and tidy, his slender, almost feminine physique hidden beneath a long, sweeping black greatcoat. Then it is that you could catch sight of his eyes, an icy blue that seemed to simultaneously disregard all those around him while having an oddly probing look to them, magnified slightly by the boxy glasses he wore. This man was a certain Doctor Herbert West of Arkham, hailing from the 1920s, and was a particularly young man himself, a recent graduate of the Miskatonic Medical School.

"Will you be having the usual, Dr West?" the man asked from behind the counter, putting just that little bit more emphasis in the honorific, knowing that doing so delighted the man very much, not that he really expressed this, mind you, but there was a flash of happiness in the man's usually quite steely eyes, giving a glimpse of him as he really was, a youth.