25: my everything

mercoledì 14:51

When Charlene left the house, she wasn't really sure what she was doing.

Everything was just so tense and difficult even for her to understand. Her father is in prison. Her mother is in the hospital for shock. And her sister verbally attacked for her before after one of the hardest moments in Charlene's life. To know that her father brutally murdered her aunt—the only person who actually appreciated Charlene like an actual person—and to hear him confess and get sentenced was way beyond what she could handle.

This is an awkward situation now. Charlene's been at the Boninovo Cliffs for a while now, sitting on the edge and just taking it in. Accepting that everything is happening because it just does. She wants to be frustrated and tired and sad and furious that all of this happened to her, but she's too used to all of this to even feel anything anymore.

Because when these kinds of things keep happening, you just kind of sit there and let it happen.

She just can't help but to wonder why it had o be her. Out of all people, it just had to be her.

A wave of unfortunate events that devours her like a wave pool and drags her on the tiled floor of the pool. She's calling for help, and people know that she's been struggling for a long time, but they won't throw her a line to grab onto.

She's always left to drown and burn out like shooting stars that die as they soar through the sky.

Charlene just needs someone who can help her without hurting her because she's really fucking tired of feeling that way. She wants to be respected and treated with kindness by family members and friends. She wants to feel adequate in a way that she feels like she is enough. She just wants to be loved and feel it for once.

Just once.

Is that so hard to ask for?

"Charlene."

She knows who it is.

Paulo stands a foot away from her, heart pumping the blood through his arteries with the speed of a horse, he tries not to engulf her into a bone crushing bear hug. He understands that she still needs space, but it's so hard when he hasn't seen the one person that's been on his mind for weeks.

He takes a cautious step towards her, seeing her not even flinch as he sits right next to her on the ledge of the cliff overlooking the Adriatic Sea. It's beautiful, but one more step and they're both dead. "How have you been?"

She shrugs and sighs. "Well, my father just got sixty years in prison for murdering my aunt, my sister tried to didn't believe me when I said that I've been depressed for a while, and I haven't seen my mother in almost a year."

"I'm sorry." Paulo's heart drops with hers. She's hurting, he could see it right through her facial expression. "I—"

"And the person I really like came back for me."

He smiles at this one, fiddling with his hands like a flustered fifteen year old hanging out with his crush. Of course he'd come back for her. He simply cannot live to the best of his ability without her. She is his rock, his anchor, his one and only love that cannot be replaced.

Charlene looks up at him with those sharp grey eyes. For once, they look so beautiful. More beautiful than usual. He loves them despite her not believing him. "Why did you come back?"

"Because I care about you," he said. "I can't live without you."

"Yeah, you can."

"No, that's not what I meant..." Paulo's hand went to brush away the stray hair away from her facd, letting him see her beauty under the sun and the flora all around them. "There aren't a lot of good things in the world. We live in a really disgusting world, but maybe—"