CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

˚˚˚

Winnie felt Justin put the Bentley in park as the got to the beach house, looking out the window, she looked to see the rain still not letting up and was still coming down hard.

"Winnie?"

"Yes?"

"I want to apologize. . .you shouldn't have to see me like that."

Winnie creased her eyebrows. "Are you apologizing for being sad that your father died?"

"Winnie. . .I don't usually crack like that, not since. . .not since my mom passed."

"Jay. . .," Winnie whispered softly as she looked down at Justin's arm that was at his side making her reach over and take his hand her hers. "It's okay."

"You know my mother's funeral was the last time I ever recall myself crying. . .she was my best friend, she'd take me to all the places my father wouldn't let me."

Winnie smiled softly. "Did you have a favorite place she took you?"

Justin looked out into the distance as he recalled the memories with his mother — something he hadn't done in a long time, he let out a small laugh as he remembered them.

"The beach near our house. . .she'd take me there the most because she said her father took her growing up, she even called me ocean eyes because of how long I'd stay out there and stare at the ocean waves."

Winnie let out a small laugh and rubbed Justin's knuckles softly and leaned her head against the headrest of her seat as she watched Justin smile and remember his mother.

"Winnie. . .I. . .I have to tell you something."

"Okay?"

"It's. . .it's about my father and your father."

Winnie creased her eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"Remember. . .remember when my father and your mother were talking about how they go back to your father working for mine?"

"Yes. . ."

"Winnie. . .my father is the reason your father is dead."

Winnie felt her breathing become uneven. "J-Justin that's not funny. . ."

"Winnie. . .I wish I was joking, my father told me it happened when he first got his new job and he needed the extra money and wanted to do overtime and my father had a worksite for him to work. . .so your father took it and the worksite. . .so much radioactivity. . .your father didn't die from a heart attack, he died from lead poisoning from the worksite and my father knew. . .so he covered it up and said your father died from a heart attack, Winnie."

Winnie felt her chest start to feel as if someone had slammed a thousand bricks on top of it to break her breathing, her hands touching Justin's had slipped out as she moved her body making Justin's throat feel like it was going to close up.

"Winnie, I'm so sorry you had to find out like this."

"Your father is the reason mine is dead?" Winnie asked in a whisper as a single tear rolled down her cheek and she saw Justin nod slowly. "Then maybe he did deserve to die."

"What?"

"Karma's a real bitch, Justin."

And with that, Justin watched Winnie open the car door and slam it shut as she sped walked out of it and into the rain making Justin curse under his breath and get out as well and follow Winnie.