Part 28

After spending the day with my family catching up, I was ready than ever to start training the next day, awaiting the day I get to return home to my tribe. Although I haven't seen my father yet, or even my best friend, I knew I'd still see them later.

Darien stayed away all day yesterday, and today I'm supposed to go train with him, bring Katrina along. This should go over well.

I took Katrina over to the training grounds but Darien didn't show. Instead one of the protectors came to let us know he'd been called on to cover a shift, so me and Katrina spent the day training together. After  hours of training, we did one last set.

"By the way," Katrina began, "Don't take this the wrong way but, I think you should put some distance between you and Madeline." My back was to her, her arm around my neck, holding me steadily. 

"Madeline? Why?" I bent over forward pulling her arm and body weight on my back, and sent her tumbling over me onto her back on the ground.

"Well, since you've been gone" she said in between breaths, "She and lucien have been hanging out a lot." She quickly crouched over, and ran right at me, her hands around my waist, she knocked me back on to my back.

"A lot?" I rolled over so that I was on top of her, "What do you mean by, a lot?" 

"I mean," She brought her leg up to her chest and kicked me off of her, I fell onto my back, but quickly got back up as she did. "That they've been going out almost every night, starting just a few days after you were gone."

I looked down, and then back up at her, I ran towards her, ducked down, dragged my feet under her as she collapsed backwards, "Katrina, Madeline is my best friend," I jumped on top of her again, "She would never do anything to compromise that position."

She rolled over so that she was on top of me "Eva, she thought you were dead. We all did. She knew she had nothing to compromise," She shrugged, "Nothing to lose."

I rolled over again and this time stood up, "Madeline isn't like that, she knew how I felt about him. Maybe they were grieving, or talking about me." Katrina stood up. "She wouldn't try to get with him just because she thought I was out of the picture." 

"Look, I'm not saying that she did, I'm just saying that the fact is, they went out- a lot. And my opinion is, that they might've hooked up or something, whether by purpose or by accident… or maybe they didn't do anything at all and I'm completely wrong." She put her hand on my shoulder "I'm just saying that, as a best friend, not only did she not visit you after not seeing you for so long, but she didn't even mention it. And if she were my best friend, I would try to figure out why exactly she was hanging out with Lucien a lot, instead of maybe grieving with our family the way we were. You're my little sister, I wouldn't want you to get hurt, or played by her."

"I understand, I'll talk to her."

"Okay, I'm gonna go, I'm pretty beat, I'll see you at the house."

"See you."

I made my way through the forest towards the river. It's been so long since I've been to the Kairi side. I wanna go. I wanna see the ocean, I wanna swim out deep, I hate being stuck here. As soon as the battle is over, then I can come back, if I make it out. 

"Eva!"

I turned around to see Avery running towards me, "Hey Ave,"

"Hey, where've you been? I was looking for you,"

"I was training with Katrina for a while,"

"Oh, mom doesn't let me train, she says that when the Thunder tribe arrives, she's sending me with the rest of the young vampires up the river to the Water tribe for safety" She frowned.