Chapter Three | What The Hell

I tapped my foot anxiously against the floor boards, my eyes darting nervously from the teacher to the wall clock every millisecond. My heart raced and my bottom lip was sore from all the anxious nibbling. Each ticking of the clock was more taunting than the last - I seriously could NOT stand it.

Tick tock.

Just a few more minutes. A few more minutes and I could get this over with. But I didn't know how to go about it - I was too confused. Too confused to even decided on what I'd actually say first. The guy was only metres away, and it had to be a mirical that we had second lesson together, just before break. I'd tried to catch up with him and ask him then when first lesson was over, but he was gone like a puff of smoke.

And that scared me. Something about him disappearing all over again frightened me beyond words. I wanted him to be in my area of vision till I finally got to ask. I needed him to be.

Zeke Everstone.

The words were almost burning. 

I glanced back at him, sat al the way across the room in the back with his head down in his arms as though he were asleep. Our teacher surprisingly made no note of it either because she was way too busy teaching - or just thought it'd save her thre trouble by just ignoring the situation altogether.

I dug my nails in the wood of my desk, anticipating the final minute.

Tick Tock.

A little longer.

The bell went off.

Before our teacher could stop anyone, everyone got up and packed up, people pouring out the room - some actually screaming 'FREDOOOM!' on their way out as she called out our homework. But guess who was head of that little run away pack? Zeke.

I shot out my seat, packing my things in a hurry in attempt to catch up with him. I couldn't loose him this time - and with his current 'show up then disappear' sort of thing I couldn't risk waiting till the end of the day.

"Everlyn," Marylinn called as she walked over to my desk. She cocked a brow. "What's the rush? I thought we were gunna-"

"Sorry Marylinn, not right now, I need to catch up with him really quickly," I gushed as I slung my bag over my shoulders and bolted for the door. I paused in the hallway, my eyes scanning in a panic for his tall figure amongst the sea of kids and teens. My heart thudded so hard I could hear it in my ears.

I froze as I noticed him heading out one of the exits to the outer grounds. I started to move - fast - as I fought through the crowd.

"Sorry, excuse me," I mummbled as I half-sprint-half-stumbled past annoyed and slightly agravated people.

Finally I came to the end of the corridor. I pushed past the double doors, stumbling out into the back of the school grounds where the large metal fence wires were, and the bins, and the trash, and all the kids that smoked. I smotted a couple at the corner of my eye, huddled over somewhere behind a garbage can to hide from others, each of them passing around cigarettes and such. As soon as one of them glanced at me, I spun on my heel to look for where Zeke had went instead.

I noticed him turning the corner, deeper into the backings of the school. He was a very surprisingly fast walker.

Yes, this was my chance!

I picked up my pace in discomfort from all the stares I was getting and almost raced all the way over to him.

As I turned the corner my feet automatically froze. I stood staring for a moment to find myself in front of a group of teenagers - both girls and boys - smoking, drinking and messing around. The noise started to lower a bit as they spotted me and started to stare.