12✯

Edge of Dreams

"We won't be coming back here for a while," my father says holding my hand. "So make sure you remember today."

"I don't want to ever leave," I laugh looking around him to see my sister walking with my mothers helping hands. She looks up and smiles at me happily.

"One last time," He says letting go of my hand. "Be careful."

I've been here so many times that I'm sure it's real. Today is real. Except I went to sleep in the car, I think.

"Daddy, did I wake up?" I call.

"Yes you did, sweetie."

"Okay," but I don't believe him. He's lied to me before in my dreams. I look out to the ocean and it looks too beautiful to be real. It's a sea of diamonds. This is a dream, I will wake up.

I walk over to where I feel the wind most, and lift my arms. I don't wear a cardigan today, so I have no wings. The wind pushes me away but I move forwards falling into it. I can see for miles and the sun shines off of the water. I close my eyes as another gust of wind blows and I lean into it taking a couple steps again.

"This isn't real," I whisper. I tiptoe further ahead, the grass turns to rock and soon enough the ground beneath my feet disappears.

And I finally fly.

✭✭✭

The next day I am surprised to get a notification which read 'The Tests will be carried out today. All inhabitants are to proceed to the Medical Section and Science Section according to their test schedule given. Inhabitants are required to wear the clothing delivered. Breakfast will not be served today and Lunch postponed. Attendance is compulsory'

I groan, mostly over the no breakfast and lunch part, and go to my port hole. Inside, in place of my usual uniform, is something else. I pull it out and when it drops out of its pristine folding, I groan again. It's a grey hospital gown. The only thing going through my mind is the fact that people are going to see me in this.

When I am dressed and ready to go, I'm reluctant to step out of my room. Thankfully, I'm not the only one donned out in the gown. The gown reaches past my knees, and like everyone else, I look like a complete twat. Everyone is split between being actually confident in their outfit, even strutting down the corridor, and being self conscious. I'm one of the latter.

I check my tablet to make sure that I'm right in my assumption to go to the Medical Section first. The crowd separates as some goes in my direction, and the rest towards the Science Section.

When I reach my assigned room, my heart is racing. When I walk in, it's just another plain face of a woman in a white lab coat. I see the needles and I back up.

"Are you okay?" The woman asks.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. I can do this. "Yeah," I gulp. "I'll be okay."

Unlike when I had to have my hands treated, there's no surgical table. I walk to the large seat and see that this one has restraints. I'm not sure if it's a good thing they're there or not. Even when I'm sat in the chair, I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack.

She checks my blood pressure first. Then proceeds to check my height and weight, which concludes that I have a healthy and acceptable BMI. The worst part is to come and I know it. I go back to the chair, heart racing, blood pounding.

"Take deep breaths," the woman says pulling on her gloves. She begins to clean the inside of my left elbow, and I jump from the cool temperature. When it dries she wraps a tourniquet around my upper left arm, and slowly I can see a vein rising. She doesn't hesitate to lock the restraints on my wrist.