Chapter 2

Hesitating at the mouth of the den, Atlas glanced back at the opening. He quickly yet quietly used Dimensional Waver to close it up. He shied away in guilt and walked on, knowing Lucas was afraid of the dark.

After stopping at the tree, Atlas paused, and took a few glances around the golden grasslands. "Astra's den follows the highest of all stars of the Libra constellation. So where..." He scanned the sky, mumbling under his breath. "Ah, there it is."

Dashing off towards the direction of Astra, he thought about Lucas. Would he be okay left alone? What if he wakes up? Atlas sighed. "He can't get out, anyways."

The last particles of light disappeared from the horizon. The bright stars above and the twin moons were the only light of Asura after the sun went down. The golden grass now slightly glowed a faint bright blue, as if reflecting the twin moons shine.

Atlas kept running until he could see the dark mound of dirt that made the opening of Astra's den. Slowing to a trot, he approached the den with caution. He didn't even know if that girl in his dream was Astra's vaika or not.

Giving his pelt a slight red glow, he picked his way around the hole until he could find a good place to leap from. He finally dropped himself into the den, making sure he didn't make too much noise.

Between the three tunnels laying out in front of him from the main den, it wasn't hard to pick out which den Astra slept in. He had heard her snore before when they were just pups.

Sneaking into the tunnel on his right, with only the glow of his pelt guiding his paws, he thought about what he might say. What would Astra think of the dream he had?

Sensing a cool breeze, he guessed the room was up ahead. Atlas caught the scent of his littermate, and started walking faster. He was eager to see her after so many years, but was also hesitant.

The room opened out in front of him. Twigs that were stuck in the walls were smoldering, but were giving off plenty of heat in addition to the warm night air. He looked around, trying to spot a dark red smudge against the dirt walls.

A pelt was slightly rising up and down as they breathed. Astra was cuddled up in the corner of her den, looking cozy. Atlas noticed the den was drenched in the scent of lush forests. Must be her pelt...

"Astra...? You awake?" Atlas didn't want to startle the small vixen, but he didn't want to wait until morning. Astra twitched her ear, but didn't move. "Astra, we need to talk. Now," he said, trying to sound urgent.

Astra's ears twitched again, and she uncurled from her position, muttering under her breath. "Atlas, I was having the best dream...! What do you want?" She opened an eye, and gave a friendly glare as she heaved herself on her haunches.

"Glad you slept well. Listen," He, too, sat on his haunches, pelt still glowing. "Who is the girl you're currently watching over?"

Astra's eyes widened in surprise. "Atlas! You know we aren't supposed to talk about our rekins! What do you want with Danielle?"

"Truly sorry, but what did she gain from... them?" Atlas tried to sound as calm as possible, but was struggling to make Astra understand.

"She..." Astra lowered her voice, acting like they were being watched. "...has wings. Why?"

Atlas flicked his ear, his tone growing slightly more urgent. "Did anything happen recently to her...?"

"Wha- Atlas, what are you tal-" Astra was cut off by a sudden bright flash filling the den. Atlas whipped his head around to face the entrance of the room.

The light brought a strong breeze blowing from outside the room, and vanquished the flames, and leaving the foxes in darkness. Both pelts steadily grew brighter, once again illuminating the space around them.