EPILOGUE

DESOLATION
EPILOGUE

      COLLEEN WAS SITTING ON THE BENCH IN THE VERY FRONT OF THE FUNERAL HOME, TRYING TO IGNORE THE NUMBING FEELING, AS MORE AND MORE OF THE TOWNSPEOPLE PILED INTO THE BUILDING

      COLLEEN WAS SITTING ON THE BENCH IN THE VERY FRONT OF THE FUNERAL HOME, TRYING TO IGNORE THE NUMBING FEELING, AS MORE AND MORE OF THE TOWNSPEOPLE PILED INTO THE BUILDING. Walking over to her and patting her shoulder lightly, wishing her their sincerest condolences and stating how her father was a good man, a brave officer, and a great dad. All things that she already knew.

She would thank them before ushering them along to rinse and repeat with the next group of people. She was sitting behind her aunt and uncle, being the last person to walk up to. A blessing and a curse within itself. She just wanted it to be over.

Colleen's eyes lit up when she heard Steve's voice as he spoke to Nancy, her head peeking around the crowd to find him. Once his eyes met hers, he excused himself and ran over to his best friend. Jumping in front of a few people who were in line and tackling her into a tight hug. She inhaled as their bodies entangled, "Hey! Hi, how are you? How are you feeling? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay," She nodded, trying to ensure him that she was okay. This was going to be the hardest day of her life. She let out an exhale and swallowed hard when he gave her a look, "I'm trying to be."

He nodded his head and pulled her into another hug and kissed the top of her head. She really wished that this day would be over already.

"Colleen," She heard a voice behind her and she turned around to find Jonathan walking up to her. She gave him a weak smile before she looked over her shoulder at Steve. She wanted to him to come back and swoop back in, but he gave her a nod, motioning for her to go talk to him and get it over with. She slowly walked over to him, "Hey."

He let out a soft breath, "Hi."

They stood there in silence for a few moments as people began to clear out of the wake. It was almost time for the funeral, she was about to bury her father. Her only parent left.

She let a tear slide down her cheek but she tried to cover it up with a cough, wiping it from under her eye. But Jonathan saw. He reached forward, wiping it away for her and she stared up at him with a quivering lip. She absolutely hated this.

"I'm not ready to go through with this."

He placed his hand on her upper arm and nodded, understanding how hard this must be. But he knew he had to be there for her.

Karen called for everyone's attention and spoke out as she motioned for everyone to get on the road to the cemetery, "It's time."

___

Colleen was the last one standing in the cemetery, staring down at the newly buried tombstone. She had just buried her father thirty-six minutes ago. But her body still felt numb. She swallowed hard and wiped a tear from her pale face, wrapping her arms around herself tighter.

She pressed a gentle kiss to her fingertips before placing it on the cold gravel stone. She let out a deep breath, "I love you, dad."

"Colleen," Jonathan called out from a distance, as he made his way across the cemetery and going to join her side. She turned around and a stunned look lined her face as she sniffed loudly. He saw the tears running down her cheeks and he picked up his pace, "Hey. Hey, are you okay?"

She blew out a breath and dramatically wiped underneath her eyes before fanning out her hands at her sides sarcastically, "I'm great."

Jonathan sighed, "And now, you're lying."

She shrugged her shoulders obnoxiously and threw her arms out, "I just buried my dad. Of course, I'm not fine. I— I feel like my body is numb. My heart hurts. I hate— I hate this feeling."

"You'll get through this."

She let out a sinister and haunting laugh, "Get through this? Get through this? How— how do you expect me to get through this? I have nothing to look forward to. No one— no one to go home to every day. I have no one left!"

Jonathan reached forward and grabbed her shoulders and she fell into him, "You have me. You have me. And you have Steve— You have Steve. And you have Nancy, and Six. Your aunt. Hopper. You have people who care about you, who want to be there for you through this." He grazed her cheek as he stared down at her, "I want to help you."

She shook her head, "You want to help me?"

"Yes, I want to help you."

"How?" She furrowed her eyebrows together.

He leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers, unsure of what else to do. But she pushed him away from her angrily, her eyes wide. "What the hell, Jonny? What? You think your kiss is just supposed to magically heal me? I can't be healed!"

He ran his hand through his hair nervously, "I just thought that it might help. That you would realize that I care about you. That I like—"

"My dad is dead, Jonathan. I have a lot more on my plate right now than figuring out a relationship. And I appreciate your concern, I really do, but I need some time. I can't do this right now, I'm sorry."

She stalked away from him, shaking her head.

THE END

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR READING AND VOTING AND LEAVING YOUR THOUGHTS THROUGHOUT THE STORY! AND WITH THAT, SEASON ONE HAS FINALLY COME TO AN CLOSE AND SEASON TWO WILL BE BEGINNING VERY SHORTLY.

I'M VERY EXCITED TO START BOOK TWO, BUT WARNING: COLLEEN WILL BE MAKING A MESS DURING HER DOWNWARD SPIRAL NEXT SEASON. LOSING A PARENT WILL BE TAKING A HUGE TOLL ON HER MENTAL HEALTH AND SHE WILL BE GOING BACK TO HER OLD "PARTY GIRL" WAYS FOR A WHILE.

LOOK OUT FOR BOOK TWO THAT I WILL BE DROPPING WITHIN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.