13. WEAPONS DOWN

DESOLATION
CHAPTER THIRTEEN

DESOLATIONCHAPTER THIRTEEN

WEAPONS DOWN

COLLEEN STORMED BACK INTO THE BYERS' HOUSE WITH HER BOW IN POSITION AND HER OTHER HAND REACHING INTO HER QUIVER, FULL OF FIRE AND READY TO ATTACK. Both of the teenagers let out sighs of relief when they saw her come barreling back into the room. They knew their chances of survival were slim once she left, she was the strongest one out of the three. And they desperately needed her with them.

"I say it's time we put an end to this crap once and for all," The curly haired brunette took her position on the other side of Jonathan and set up her shot. She noticed that her hands weren't shaking for the very first time that day. She was over being scared. She was ready to fight. She was ready to win.

The lights began flickering more intensely and she swallowed hard, knowing that this was it. She would either become a victor, or this would be her last moments alive. She turned her head to look up at Jonathan and her heart was pounding in her chest, opening her mouth to tell him that she had feelings for him too. "Jonny, I—"

He glanced over to her but then the lights went completely black, engulfing the room in total darkness. "Do you see it?" Nancy yelled.

The lights flashed back on and the monster lunged towards Colleen, but she let go of the string and the arrow propelled towards it. It shot straight into the back of its throat making the monster stumble backwards. Jonathan ran forward with the bat, swinging it as hard as he could but the monster deflected it. It slashed its arm in Jonathan's direction, tossing him straight off his feet and hard onto the ground. The monster leaned over him, opening its mouth to attack when Nancy began shooting her gun at it and shouted, "Get him up!"

Colleen slid onto the ground, grabbing onto the collar of Jonathan's jacket and yanking his body over towards her. The monster directed its attention back over to where Nancy was standing and sprinted towards her in a quick movement— but suddenly, it was lifted off of the ground.

Colleen looked over to find someone standing in the doorway with an outstretched hand and mumbling words underneath his breath. His eyes were closed as he concentrated his powers on levitating the monster away from Nancy. Six flicked his hand to the left, throwing the monster into the wall on the other side of the room and it let out a cry as it slammed against the cement.

Nancy ran over to her cousin and Jonathan, helping pull them both to their feet. Colleen stared over at Six with a mixed feeling of happiness and relief in her chest. He wasn't dead. He was alive, and he saved them. Again.

The monster struggled to get back onto its feet but once it did, it darted over in Six's direction. The monster hit him hard, causing Six to fly back against the wall and he tumbled on top of the couch. It opened its mouth in an attempt to bite him, but out of nowhere, a barbed wire bat smacked it on the back of its head.