I couldn't blame his dull excitement with my unannounced arrival. It had been a few weeks since we'd actually seen each other, and our lunch break dates had ceased since then. I feel guilty admitting that it's mainly because I spend most of my lunch breaks with Lip. In his bed. I know it's shitty, but with everything that's been developing in my life, I find it hard to actually stop and look at my phone to send a quick text.

This whole "recovering-adult life" is actually kind of hard. Who would have thought.

I traced my finger around the handle of my chicken-imprinted coffee cup. "Did you just get off?" I tried perking up my voice so I didn't sound like a jackass, but instead I just sounded desperate.

It's been too long without my carrot-top.

I watched his back as he sniffed a carton of milk. He scrunched up his nose and put it back before grabbing a beer and shutting the door. "Yup."

I scrunched up my lips ad nodded. Yup, I deserved that.

Ian sat across from me at the table and pulled out his phone. I watched the reflection in his green eyes as he mindlessly texted someone. He didn't bother looking up when I cleared my throat to see if he remembered that I was still there.

Uncomfortable, I shifted in my seat and scratched the top of my head. I was never good at the silent treatment, or taking a fucking hint. Especially if it was coming from someone who held most of my heart in the palm of their fucking hand.

"How's work been?" My tone was hopeful and pathetic at the same time.

He stared at his phone with a curt nod. "Good."

My leg started to bounce underneath the table. I was growing desperate for a sentence. "That's great." There was a long pause. I awkwardly watched as Ian smiled at something on his phone. I needed something. "Guess what?" I waited for his response, which never came. "I saw Bobby Warren the other day."

His finger stopped scrolling and he raised a brow.

Got him.

"I guess his dad is in charge of the program Emmett works for." I shook my head. "Asshole looked like he saw a ghost when he realized it was me."

He didn't respond right away but when he finally did he exhaled and leaned against the table. "What are you trying to do, Cash?"

"With Bobby? Not murder him and go to jail, if possible."

"No." He motioned between us with his finger, "This."

I raised a brow, confused. "I'm trying to talk to my best friend?"

He breathed out a laugh. "Best friend? You haven't talked to me in weeks."

The conversation was taking a turn, and it felt like I didn't how to drive. I barely got my fucking license.

"Last I checked you were doing perfectly fine talking about this stuff with your other friends."

Jealous Ian was someone I never had experience with. It was always me and him, and we liked it that way. The only time we ever fought was when I left with a twisted head to a new state. He didn't deserve that then, and he didn't deserve this now. The only thing was, I didn't know how to control my attitude around something I didn't have experience with.

"Is that what this silent treatment is about? Andie and Emmett?" I kept an even tone, but I met his stance and scooted closer to the table.

He pursed his lips and shrugged. "Doesn't hurt to at least send a text every once in a while. You spend most of your free time with them that you don't even show up around here anymore."