Chap 2 - Part II

[Please note that i have included Aditya's childhood name in this chapter. I will change them in last chapters as well. So, Zoya calls Chikoo as Teetoo]

Pooja's number flashed on my iphone screen. No, I don't want her to call me now. I am in such a fowl mood and I know this is going to be a disaster if I pick it up.

After debating over I decided to pick it up. "HI! Pooja. Ya.. hmm.. hmmm.. no... i am fine.. hm.. back home.. hmm.. enough.. don't irritate now, I have other work to do rather than spending my whole time in this marriage.. Pooja... Poo" shit, damn it no I have upset her. Dadi flinched at my raised voice.

"Adi! Apna gussa ko kabo karna sikho" (try to control your anger) otherwise you will be in deep trouble.

"Dadi! How could she disconnect my phone?"

"You have misbehaved with her that's why. And mind it everyone is not like your so called class less girl".

I froze hearing that. Did she just call Zoya classless? Why am I angry hearing it? Wasn't it me who said that to her all the time? But dadi saying that doesn't add up. Why is she deliberately insulting her? Why is she giving importance to Pooja? I am observing everything. Dadi took Pooja for shopping when all three were suppose to go together. Dadi and Pooja left leaving Zoya in the house. The hurt in her face was unbearable to watch.

"dadi! Aap Zoya ke barein meye aisa kyun bol rehen hai?" (why are you saying like this about Zoya?)

"kuch galat kahan meine? You only treat her like this right? And what wrong did I say I said your so called class less girl. Not mine".

"da.."

"I need sometime of yours, if you could come along with me to my room".

I followed her without uttering a single word. I was fighting with my inner turmoil. Nothing was going right when everything should have been. I glanced towards her room hoping to see her glimpse once at least but was fairly disappointed.

**

I followed Dadi to her room feeling heavy with every step that I took. It was as if the universe was telling me that what I was doing is wrong when my mind said I was doing everything right. The turmoil inside me reeled me to the hilt.

Dadi asked me to close the door and after doing so I made myself comfortable on the sofa that sat near the covered balcony. I remember looking at Zoya playing in the lawn from that balcony. Her piggy tails bounced as she played hop-scotch-bun with the housemaids.

I always envied her jolly nature. How can someone be so easy and so carefree who has endured such a tragic pasts. Everytime I looked at her I think of that dreadful day and that made me hate her so much and it continues till today.

I should be finally happy that she will be out of my life, out of my sight and out of my mind. But why does it feel the other way round. Why do I feel that this decision is going to nag me forever? Why do I think something wrong is going to happen?

Dadi's frigiting caught my attention. I made myself comfortable on the sofa. She was searching for something inside her cupboard. And I had this creepy feeling that it was Maa's jwellery box. My phone beeped with some incoming messaged which got me busy momentarily.

Dadi sat the box on the coffe table with a thud and made herself comfortable on the single seater sofa. Precipitation beaded across her forehead and I felt sorry for her. She is aging I know yet she takes all the responsibilities in her shoulder. It was really tough for her to handle both the young kids at her age. Yet I am really proud of her for her commendable job by raising us.