Chapter 16 ~ What Comes Next

“I don’t know what exactly just occurred, Edward. Alice saw nothing. One moment we were about to start our hunting and the next we were being ambushed by a dozen newborns.” Carlisle explained after everyone returned; unharmed; from fighting off a bundle of newborns.

“Honestly I didn’t see anything,” Alice started. Edward shot her a glare, but it quickly died away once I squeezed his hand. He sighed heavily.

“And Laurent got away did he?” Edward asked, he sounded pained.

“With Irina, yes.” Jasper confirmed.

“So what do we do now? Victoria’s army has got be down to the nub of nothing, if not that after how many just attacked everyone. Should we take advantage and attack her?” Edward asked, thinking out loud it sounded like. I listened in carefully, trying to think of anything that might help.

“What if we were able to lure her into a trap?” Jasper suggested, “Get her into terms of our own so that we won’t have to deal with the mayhem of a large city?”

Carlisle nodded to this, “What did you have in mind Jasper?”

He seemed hesitant to share, worried almost.

“The wolves will be here any minute now Carlisle,” Alice said aloud. I sighed, not wanting to see Jacob.

“Perhaps we should move this outside then?” Carlisle suggested, standing from the table. Everyone followed suit, Edward and I went last.

As we stepped out of what was left of the shattered glass doors that led to the backyard, I noticed that all of the wolves were in attendance.

“We haven’t lost the element of surprise,” Edward announced once we stood opposite of the wolves.

“No?” Carlisle asked with surprise of his own. Shaking his head, Edward went on to explain.

“The pack was out on patrol more toward La Push, unaware of the attack, they didn’t get involved. Victoria still has no idea that there are wolves on our side. There was a commotion from our opposite, but everyone seemed to ignore them so I didn’t say anything.

“Jasper,” Carlisle called, “you had an idea son, would you please inform us?” He nodded and stepped forward slightly, facing the family more than the pack. I kept my eyes on him, not letting them drift to the oversized wolves.

“Well…” he began, “Since I am assuming Victoria is at the downside of an army currently, I agree with Edward’s thoughts on attacking now. She obviously thought that we would be seriously injured in killing these spawn out of the blue, but she didn’t realize how strong we are.

“I had the thought of getting her here; or somewhere more…secluded, away from the humans. The only way I could see her coming willingly is if we had some sort of…trick to lure her.”

“No.” Edward snarled from beside me. I looked up at him in alarm. What was Jasper thinking that made him so angry?

“Listen, Edward; I don’t like it any more than you do, but this might be our only chance. She doesn’t know she didn’t take out half of our family, and until we are sure where Laurent and Irina have went…we don’t have a lot of time.”

Edward glared at his brother for a moment, but reason soon reached his eyes as he thought it through. With a groan, he let his head hang down, reaching up with the hand that wasn’t wrapped around me to pinch the bridge of his nose.

Jasper smiled sadly, but continued.

“I’m unaware how many newborns she will have with her, but we should be prepared either way. Tonight we will be having another meeting and setting the trap. Tomorrow we will lure her to the clearing we first practiced in. Any questions?”