Jack Murphy

"You go find Morales and I'll get that car moved." Jack Murphy spoke calmly as he pulled the police car to a halt.

"Jesus, could the weather be any worse for this shit?" Ryan Trent murmured as he opened the car door into the heavy downpour. Jack laughed as he watched his colleague step out into the dark night and jog down the dimly lit alleyway. The police officer got out of the car in to the familiar street, he didn't live too far from here and had often walked his wife's dog this way. His hazel eyes scanned the registration plate of the vehicle blocking the alley entrance as he approached the nearest house. It was 10.37pm and the house was in darkness. Jack firmly knocked the oak door. A dog barked and lights began to flick on inside the home. The door opened and a plump middle aged man in a green dressing gown stood in the doorway

"I'm sorry to bother you Sir, but is that your car?" Jack pointed towards the blue hatchback blocking the road.

The man looked defensive, Jack had seen this face many times a day. He couldn't help but feel bad for the poor guy, five minutes ago he was fast asleep, now he has a policeman knocking on his door enquiring about his car. "There's not a problem Sir, it's just that there will be an ambulance arriving in about 6 minutes and it needs access to the alley. Your car is blocking the entrance."

The man's face instantly softened. " Yeah... I'll move it right away." As he spoke, The man fumbled on a table beside the front door for his keys. "Has someone been hurt?"' He asked as he slipped his feet into a nearby pair of trainers. The man stepped out into the street, pulling his neck down into his dressing gown to shield himself from the rain.

"I'm not sure, there are other officers dealing with the situation. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about." Jack replied, as he made his way towards the alley way entrance. He watched down the street, for the familiar blue flashing lights. The roar of the engine from the man's car broke his focus. Jack was tired. It was the end of a weeks worth of night shifts. Thankfully, tonight had been really quiet. One domestic dispute and then this call was all that the night had had to offer so far. He watched the headlights of the blue car die, he waved at the man through the windscreen, confirming the job had been completed successfully. With the entrance now clear, Jack made his way down the dark pathway. A row of dilapidated garages lined one side of the passageway. With rain so heavy and the limited street light, Jack squinted to try to make out Morales or Trent in the distance. He couldn't see or hear anyone. He thought about going back to the car for his torch, when Trent appeared from between some garages, a little further down.

" The ambulance is clear to come through now...where's Morales?" Jack asked. Trent said nothing, a pained expression frozen across his face. Jack felt confused. He studied his friends features for a few seconds before continuing. "Ryan, is Morales back there?" Trent kept his eyes fixated on his friend. Jack knew something was wrong. He side stepped Ryan to walk last him. Almost instantly, Jack felt the force of Ryan's palm pressed firmly against his chest. He stopped.

" Jack." Was all Ryan mustered in a low and serious tone, his eyes locked with Jack's as a gesture of authority. Jack tried again to push past his friends grip, Ryan pushed Jack firmly backwards. " I need you to stay here." Ryan's voice was slow, but firm. The voice Jack had heard him use thousands of times in difficult situations. He could feel his pulse quickening. Something was not right here. He couldn't think of the right words to ask. Ryan continued, " the ambulance will be here in seconds, she is breathing. Morales is with her. I think it's best if you wait right here for the paramedics."

Jack pushed Ryan's hand away. He could feel the cold rain drops running down his furrowed brow. He didn't understand what was happening. Ryan paused momentarily, seeing the confusion on his friends face before adding 'It's Nina, Jack. It's Nina."