Persuit

Soft footsteps pound the leaf covered ground, snaps and crunches echoing all around.

Pursued by the thudding of paws. Paws that support the muscled legs; toned body lined with fur; head and muzzle, each asset armed with deadly accuracy.

Chocolate brown hair flying back, a great camouflage in the brown forest surrounding. Yet not enough to elude the predator bounding after. Sharp eyesight; exquisite smell; acute hearing.

As the trees flicker pas, heavy breathing is heard from the laboured human. Desperation on her face which is scrunched up, only her eyes remain wide and alert. Hands pumping at her side; legs moving as fast as she can go, only adrenaline fuels her now.

A ball of fur pursues his prey in close reach. Regular breathing, calm mind, steady pace. Quite the contrary from the human girl ahead of him.

She knows what she's doing though.

Darting through the dense trees, her slim body easily darts between them in a zig-zag pattern.

The wolf however is not so lucky.

His body is long and thick, built for speed, not for changing direction at a moment's notice. Deep, rumbling growls erupt from from the chest of this fine beast. Being thwarted by a human? A magnificent beast as I? I would think not.

In his mind the forest was laid out like a map; each twist and turn noted with precise detail. This was his home, and no human can outwit a beast in his own home.

Oblivious to her on-coming demise, the girl ran on. Memories of her mother telling her not to go out after dark flooded her mind, but when she recollected why she had come here in the first place, it all made sense. The cuts, the harsh comments, the snide remarks.

All she wanted was to escape from it all; to finally be free from all the pain.

At last the trees dimmed to a small clearing, the moon glistening in all it's glory above them.

A solitary tear escaped the girl's eye, running down her smooth cheek and down to her chin, dripping off and down onto the soft grass that was now beneath the,. Acceptance washed over her as her fate was not sealed.

She turned and stood still.

Time stood with her.

Watched as the wild beast lunged out of the cover of the trees. Watched as claws and teeth sunk into flesh, ripping into it with undeniable pleasure.

A million different thoughts could have flown through her mind in that last second: Parents, family, friends, future, education... But only ony thought was present as her life was torn away from her.

Am I going to hell?