[ 9 ]

When the group left the apartment complex, Brunnhilde and the strange man went one way, towards the scrapper's garage and training barracks, while Syn went the opposite way, leading the brothers back to the palace. It was easy getting them back, as the crowds outside had grown much larger in the time they were inside. She brought them to the base of the palace, looking up with a brow arched slightly.

"Okay, there's a hatch up there that'll lead us straight into the main hall. It's a tight fit, but I can get up there. Here, hold these." Syn kicked off her shoes and handed them to Thor, who took them with slightly widened eyes. Syn then pulled her dagger out from under her dress and used it to cut the fabric away, collecting the pieces as they fell. As soon as she was able to move better in the dress, she took the blade between her teeth, tied the fabric pieces together, and tied it around her waist to keep the cut dress in place. Then, she began her climb. With a deep breath through her nose, she tuned out the music and chants below, hoisting herself up with surprising strength. As she neared the top, her bare feet slipped from one of the jagged pieces of the building, leaving her to dangle on the edge of the building.

"Syn!" Thor called, shoving her shoes into Loki's hands. He held out his arms for her, standing just below her, but she shook her head. She took another deep breath and swung her legs, extending them so she could push off from the building. In one fluid motion, she twisted her body and flipped up onto the ledge, her back landing on it a bit harder than she meant it to. Slowly, she got to her feet, fanned her face, and gave the brothers a thumbs up. She waved her hand, signaling for them to climb up after her, before turning back to the hatch. She crouched down and twisted the handle, the door hissing as it opened up. She looked over her shoulder as Thor and Loki both made it up, and she grinned.

"So glad you could join me. Shoes please," she said, holding out her hand. Loki and Thor each handed her one, and she slipped them on with a smile.

"I'll go down first to make sure the coast is clear. Don't come down until I say so, but keep low to the ground," she said, and the two nodded. She glanced down the hatch, her eyes widening as she saw a guard looking directly up at her.

"Change of plan. Look out below!" she shouted, sliding down the hatch on another the guard's shoulders.

"Get off of me, you little brat!" he yelled, grabbing her legs. She covered his eyes with one hand, using her free one to claw at his arms so he couldn't touch her.

"Not today, asswipe!" she snapped, bringing her heels into his stomach. He doubled over, causing her to fall from his shoulders and roll on the ground, the crystal darkening ever so slightly. The guard stood, his back to the hatch opening, which allowed Thor and Loki to slip in.

"You little slut. You'll pay for that," he snarled, raising his spear.

"And you'll pay for that," she snarled, the crystal flaring black. Her eyes darkened, and she lunged at him, knocking him onto his back. The spear flew out of his hand, and she grabbed it, smacking him across the face with the hilt of it. She then smashed the butt of the spear into his nose, threw it aside, and stood, kicking him in the gut.

"He shouldn't be a problem anymore. C'mon, before more of those guys show up," she said, tucking the crystal under her dress. She started off down the hall, the brothers following close behind, but with wide eyes. She brought them to a door, running her fingers through her hair as she stopped.

"Okay Loki, do your thing," she said, stepping aside. Loki nodded and walked up to the control panel, Thor following behind so he could rest against the wall. Syn stepped away a bit, keeping watch with one hand on the hilt of her dagger. When she heard Thor speak to Loki, she forced herself not to eavesdrop. She only turned around when she heard the door slid open, and Thor motioned for her to follow.