[ 5 ]

Syn ran back to her bedroom, kicking off her shoes as she did so. Her door slid open, then slammed shut once she was safely inside. She spun the lock as tight as it would go while the crystal around her neck rapidly changed from pink to blue to black. She wanted to destroy the room, she wanted to break the window, she wanted out. Tears welled in her eyes as she stumbled to her bed, a strangled sob leaving her lips. She looked down at her robes, hot tears streaming down her face. She dug her fingers into the fabric as the crystal's black glow seemingly darkened, and she began to tear at the robes. The sound of ripping fabric dimmed the crystal's glow, but it didn't go back to white until the robes lay in tatters on the ground. Syn was left in her undergarments, curled up on her bed, a sobbing mess. Her eye makeup ran down her cheeks, staining her pillow and part of her bedsheets. Her whole body ached, and the sudden pounding against her chamber door made her head hurt as well.

"Leave me alone!" she yelled, curling up tighter. The pounding on the door continued, and she covered her ears, hiccuping between sobs. With one final bang, her door fell to the ground, the lock proving insufficient in the end.

"My dear! What has you so upset?" the Grandmaster asked, hurrying over to her bedside. Syn looked up at him, her red and tearstained face making her father jump back a bit.

"What has me so upset? What has me so upset?! How can you say that to me?!" she shouted, sitting upright. Her eyes darkened slightly, the crystal began to blink again. The Grandmaster reached out to smooth down her hair, but she jerked her head back, glaring up at him. Slowly, her father eased forward, crouching down while taking her hands in his. She tried to pull them back, but his grip was surprisingly tight.

"My darling daughter, you need to calm down. Then, we can, ah, discuss this like the adults we are," he said, offering a small smile. He gave her hands a squeeze, but as they twitched in his grip, he didn't let go.

"I don't want to calm down! I have ever right to be outraged by this!" she said, trying to pull her hands back.

"Outraged by such a joyous occasion? That's absurd!"

"It is not a joyous occasion! I don't want to be married!" she shouted, finally freeing her hands from his grip. She shuffled back on her bed, sitting as far away from him as she possibly could.

"But sweetheart, how else will you produce an heir? It's rather unladylike to, ah, sleep around," he said. Syn's eyes widened, her eyes stung, and she felt her face heat up. Those words were like a slap to the face.

"You mean like how I got here?" she asked softly. She lifted her head to look her father straight in the eyes, watching was he paled slightly.

"No, no no no. My darling daughter—"

"Dad...just don't. I-I want to be alone. Can you at least give me that option?" she asked, a single tear rolling down her cheek. Silently, the Grandmaster nodded, and with a wave of his hand, the guards left the room, and he followed behind them, his robes billowing behind him as he walked. One guard stayed behind to put the door back as best as he could, but she just shook her head.

"You can leave it. It's fine," she said quietly. The guard nodded before leaving, and she got up to quickly dress herself. She put on one of her nightgowns before she walked out onto the balcony, sitting by the railing with her chin in the palm of her hand. She gazed out to the horizon, watching the sun dip down behind the buildings. She let out a shaky sigh as another tear rolled down her cheek. A breeze came through, blowing her hair back from her face as well as dry the tears on her cheeks. She didn't bother to look behind her as footsteps approached from behind.

"Syn?" Loki's voice was surprisingly soft as he walked up to her, but she still didn't turn her head.

"I wanted to be left alone. I'm surprised my father didn't let you know," she said, keeping her eyes on the horizon. She felt him come up beside her, resting both of his hands along the railing.