He penned the words with ease, even as he wondered if he should rewrite them. Yet, each rewrite had been a variation with little to no difference. None that were important, anyhow. Finally, after many pieces of paper, ink, and time, Elvis composed the following:

Dear Ms. Joplin,

It is an uttermost pleasure to read California is treating you well. I know of how good the beaches there are, not to mention the movie sets...

I am still thinking of your performance the other night on the television. You truly have a voice like no other. I am pleased to say I have acquired one of your albums and have had it on repeat for the good part of the past week. Not one song is out of place. And, of course, you sung wonderfully.

Hope we can talk again soon. Say hello to golden California for me.

Sincerely, yours,
Elvis Presley.

He smiled and went to sign a few autographs before passing the pile onto a staff member. He handed the letter off, assured it would reach Janis within the week. Then, he leaned back in a chair and ate a sandwich. (Man, did he love his sandwiches.) He watched a little bit of television and went off to hang with the boys. They played a few rounds of racquetball, teasing and goofing around. Then, they all came in for supper then bed. Elvis had just said goodnight to his father when Joe stopped him in the hall.

"Elvis, you know it's Sunday, right?"

"And?"

"The post office is closed today."

"Oh." Elvis could feel his face warm. How did he forget? "Do you still have the letter?"

"Yeah, a maid handed it to me."

"You still have it?" repeated Elvis.

Joe nodded and handed him the letter.

"Thank you, I have a few amends to do." Elvis laughed and hugged his friend. "Goodnight, Joe."

"Goodnight."

Elvis went to his room. He sat on the bed and read the letter again. He sat there, hand on his chin. He wanted to make sure it was perfect. At the end of the reading, he did not change one word. He smiled, and sent it off the next day.

It was exactly three days past that he got a reply. This time, he knew what to look for in the endless sea of letters from fans. A bright turquoise envelope stood out from the rest quite easily. He was amazed he had not spotted it the first time; then again, he had not known what to look for. Her reply had arrived early, and the handwriting inside was messy, the words excited.

Elvis,

You are too kind to still have that silly television performance on your mind! Yet, yeah, there is no place like California. Once you visit, you can never set foot outside.

I am beyond excited to tell you I am in town in about three weeks for a show. I would love to spend some time with you, if you would like to. Man, I just love what I do, you know. Yeah, you know!

California says hello to you, too

J. Joplin.

Elvis had the biggest smile Joe had ever seen on his face. Joe had hardly opened his mouth to ask what he was so happy about when Elvis spilled the news. He chuckled and patted his friend's shoulder. "Glad to hear, E."

"Yeah," Elvis agreed. He could hardly wait to see her.