thirty five

"What do you mean?" Cody asks the OB-GYN "How is that possible?"

We watch as she sighs and starts to pack up her stuff. "False positives aren't common, but they do happen, and in your case, they happened on all three tests you took."

I didn't know whether to be sad or relieved. Right now I was feeling a little bit of both. There's no way Cody and I were ready to be parents, but the idea was fun to think about. But it's true what they say; timing is everything, and right now is just not the time.

The doctor leaves and Cody moves from his small folding chair and sits on the bed next to me.

"What are you thinking?" I ask, pulling his t-shirt that I was wearing back down to cover my stomach up again.

He rubs his eye and lets his hand run up towards his hair. "I don't really know, babe. When you first told me, I was terrified, but the more I thought about it, the more excited I became. We're both young, and the situation wasn't exactly ideal, but I have faith that we would have pulled through."

I sit up, kissing his shoulder before lacing my hand with his and wrapping my other arm around his bicep. "Remember what Ashli told you after you guys lost the World Series?"

He looks down at me and smiles, repeating the words his sister had told him. "Everything happens for a reason; God has a plan for it all."

"Exactly, God has a plan, and this just wasn't the path we were supposed to take. Not yet at least."

He lets go of my hand and replaces it around my waist. "I love you," he says, leaning down and kissing me.

My hand instinctively rests on his chests. I pull away and look up at him, a small grin on my face. "I love you too."

We turn away from each other when the door opens. Chris and Cole file inside, closing the door behind them.

"What's the news?" Chris asks the both of us.

"It was a false alarm," Cody tells them, "Em's not pregnant."

"Then why did all of the tests say positive?" Cole questions.

I shrug in response, "Beats me."

The room was silent for a moment before Cole speaks again. "Well, Mom, Dad, and Ash are on their way over for game night. Are we going to make dinner or order something?"

"I'll Postmate something over. Is pizza fine with you guys?" Cody asks and we all nod.

I stay on the bed while Cody orders and the other two boys walk back into the living room.

"You ready?" Cody asks me, standing up and taking both my hands in his. I nod, and he pulls me off the bed and into his embrace. I'm not at all short, but because Cody's 6'4 frame stands eight inches my 5'8 one, I'm still constantly looking up at him.

He twirls me around once before crashing his lips on mine. He leans in deeper, wanting more.

"Don't start something you can't finish," I warn, a small laugh following.

"Who says I can't make it quick?" He looks down at me and smirks. His hands move down to my hips, and he starts to push me back towards our bed.

Cody groans when we hear the front door open. I laugh, and he shoots me a look. "Oh just wait until tonight. You are going to get it."

"That doesn't sound too bad," I stand on my tip toes to whisper in his ear.

He looks down and repeats what I had just said to him, "Don't start something you can't finish."